Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Theo to Chicago Cubs

Rookie ERA

Re: Theo to Chicago Cubs

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Trendy, you dumbass. GM's and Presidents are the exact same thing!!!
    That may depend on the team because on the Rays Matt Silverman is the President and Andrew Friendman is VP of BO/GM.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Better than completely making shit up and being wrong at every turn. How do you argue with someone who contradicts themselves in the same sentence?
    Have you ever looked at your own posts? Your argumentative skills consist of simply saying the exact opposite statement of another's opinion, while backing it up with stupid ad hominem like "Believe what you want", "This is the dumbest post of all time", "Keep reaching", etc.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Have you ever looked at your own posts? Your argumentative skills consist of simply saying the exact opposite statement of another's opinion, while backing it up with stupid ad hominem like "Believe what you want", "This is the dumbest post of all time", "Keep reaching", etc.
    Again, it beats making shit up and passing it off as fact like you have in this thread. I love how you said opinion while I brought facts. Facts usually end arguments especially when you don't bring a single one. I already proved where you were wrong but yet you kept reaching to prove to only yourself that you were right. What else can I do but continue to say you're wrong? You even contradicted yourself and all I could do was laugh at it!! Then you try and somehow mock my "argumentative skills" when I wasn't even arguing? I was done arguing after my first post on the matter as I proved you and your backwards logic was incorrect! After that it was simply pointing out how wrong you were! It's only arguing when there is an argument to be had and you don't have one! Look in the mirror when you try to knock "argumentative skills".
    Last edited by love_that_reefer; 10-20-2011 at 01:58 AM.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Tobywan View Post
    That may depend on the team because on the Rays Matt Silverman is the President and Andrew Friendman is VP of BO/GM.
    I was being sarcastic, Toby. Of course they aren't the same thing. Just poking fun at Mofo's incorrect statements.

Rookie ERA

Oops, my de facto bad!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Again, it beats making shit up and passing it off as fact like you have in this thread. I love how you said opinion while I brought facts. Facts usually end arguments especially when you don't bring a single one. I already proved where you were wrong but yet you kept reaching to prove to only yourself that you were right. What else can I do but continue to say you're wrong? You even contradicted yourself and all I could do was laugh at it!! Then you try and somehow mock my "argumentative skills" when I wasn't even arguing? I was done arguing after my first post on the matter as I proved you and your backwards logic was incorrect! After that it was simply pointing out how wrong you were! It's only arguing when there is an argument to be had and you don't have one!
    Where did I contradict myself? And how did you exactly prove that I was wrong when your assertions that I was wrong ("No, he is not the head of all baseball operations as GM. Being the President of Baseball Operations and being the GM/VP are not the same thing!!") aren't even backed by supporting details? At least I tried to explain to you why the GM is, in effect, the head of baseball ops, on the basis that he is the top exec of the baseball ops' chain of command and that he makes the player personnel decisions.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk View Post
    Where did I contradict myself? And how did you exactly prove that I was wrong when your assertions that I was wrong ("No, he is not the head of all baseball operations as GM. Being the President of Baseball Operations and being the GM/VP are not the same thing!!") aren't even backed by supporting details? At least I tried to explain to you why the GM is, in effect, the head of baseball ops, on the basis that he is the top exec of the baseball ops' chain of command and that he makes the player personnel decisions.
    I thought that FACT, not assertion, in bold pretty much summed it up but I guess not. Here, I'll spell it out so even you can understand. President > VP/GM. TADA!!! You contradicted yourself by saying this nugget: "Head/Director/President of Baseball Operations...GM/VP...it's the same shit." It's just not true at all and you made it up! Vice President is not a step ahead of President!! Your explanations aren't valid because they aren't supported by truth. GM's report to the President of Baseball Operations and GM's are not the top executive. President of Baseball Operations are over everyone in the directory under Baseball Operations that you so dearly love. Your whole basis was that GMs are first listed in a directory of Baseball Operations thus being the top dog which is why I said that was the dumbest post of all-time because every GM is. Brian Sabean is not the President of Baseball Operations for the Giants but according to your flawed logic, he is because he has first billing in the Baseball Operations directory. You see how dumb that is?? You did absolutely nothing to back your statements up and then had the nerve to attack simple facts I laid out. You are wrong!! Want me to keep pointing it out? I gladly will. Epstein is being rumored to bring in Jed Hoyer to be GM which by your logic is the head of Baseball Operations but that's going to be Theo's job. So according to you, Theo and Hoyer will hold the same position but Theo will be paid more. I wonder if we will ever see them in the same room since they are the same person.

MLB ERA

Keep it civil please, personal insults aren't needed and aren't tolerated in my forum

MLB ERA

You're both arguing in circles now.

There comes a point in any "debate" where you just have to accept that the other person just doesn't agree with you no matter how dumb you may feel his/her opinion may be.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    You're both arguing in circles now.

There comes a point in any "debate" where you just have to accept that the other person just doesn't agree with you no matter how dumb you may feel his/her opinion may be.
    Or the point that FACTS ring clear. That's why I say to people like mofo "Believe what you will" Some misconstrue that as arguing though

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Epstein as GM was in effect the Red Sox's top executive in baseball operations because the Red Sox do not have a formal President of Baseball Operations. In fact, the Marlins (Larry Beinfest) and the Orioles (until Andy MacPhail resigned) were the only teams with one, and the Orioles didn't have a "GM" working under MacPhail.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah, you're right Mofo.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Some teams, such as the Padres when Alderson was here, list a "team President" or some other title (such as "head of baseball operations") ahead of the GM.

With the Padres, Sandy was Team President (or something along those lines) and Towers was still the "General Manager"

It's all just titles, though. They all serve as a de facto GM by teaming up to make personnel moves.
    Alderson was the Padres' Team President, but like Larry Lucchino, he was part of the executive office team instead of the baseball ops team, if I recall correctly.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

So I've read.... 1% of this thread.... But am shocked at how it just keeps going....

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trendy Bastard View Post
    I mean, if you want to put it as blindly as that.

The new GM will be doing all of the FA signings, the trading, and the movement in the minor league levels. The things every other GM in baseball does. Theo will just be the one with the final say, which is what every "President of Baseball Operations" does.
    Except that every other GM in baseball has the final say. If this new GM is making the day to day moves under Theo's command, then that makes him a glorified assistant GM, in my view.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast