Thread: Boston Day 1 Draft Picks

MLB ERA

Boston Day 1 Draft Picks

No. 19 overall-Matt Barnes-RHP-UConn

Barnes has been connected to the Red Sox since Theo Epstein witnessed him throw an 8-inning gem against the University of South Florida on May 7th. Only question was if he'd be there for the Sox after that outing. Barnes offers a rare combination of power, projection, and polish, which means he could push quickly through the system and get better at each level as he does. His fastball touches the high-90’s and sits a few clicks below. He compliments that pitch with a hammer curveball. I don't know if he has a + 3rd pitch atm but can work on one in the system, definitely a college arm with a lot of upside

No. 26 overall-Blake Swihart-C-New Mexico (HS)

Swihart’s tools aren’t in question, his price tag is. With a strong commitment to the University of Texas looming, Swihart will undoubtedly play the waiting game up until the August signing deadline. On the field, no one is questioning his tools or his athleticism. He projects to stay behind the plate and have at least average hit and power tools. My understanding of this is that the Red Sox were comfortable with the price tag for Swihart. In the past the Red Sox have always signed their 1st rounders with high price tags so I would expect this to continue with Swihart considering the need in the system for a plus catching spec

No. 36-LHP Henry Owens-California (HS)

Early on in the draft process this Spring, he had high expections. Those were something which hurt him in the end as he failed to consistently live up to the expectations he set. Owens is a rarity for Theo Epstein: a prep lefty. This is the first time since 2003 that the Red Sox selected a southpaw from high school in the first ten rounds of the draft. Owens can hump his fastball into the mid-90’s, but sits in the low-90’s. His primary breaking pitch is a big curveball which he took a step forward with this season. The Sox will have to buy Owens out of a Miami commitment to secure his services, but again all indications are the Sox are aware of the price and intend to pay it.

No. 40-OF Jackie Bradley Jr.- South Carolina

Bradley Jr. who slipped in the draft, A left-handed hitter and the best player on the 2010 College World Series champion Gamecocks, Bradley Jr. is the consensus best defensive outfielder in the draft. He combines a plus arm with plus range in CF -- defensively, his draft status never wavered. In the early fits of the season, Bradley was a possible top 15 pick. But a combination of a deep hitting slump and a season-ending wrist injury had him sliding down draft boards coming into the first day. While his season ended on multiple sour notes, Bradley is as dynamic a player as any outfielder in this draft when firing on all cylinders. The Sox are hoping that he realizes his previous form and becomes the CF of the future. Seems like the Red Sox picking on teams souring on a great prospect due to a bad few months at the wrong time. They have done well with players like this in the past like Buchholz, and Pedroia who were also sliders in their particular draft.

Again looks like the Sox are going to spend early in the draft for the players they want... will be interesting to see how many high priced guys they take later on in the draft as they have had success signing tough players.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Boston Day 1 Draft Picks

Red Sox first-round pick Blake Swihart told reporters Tuesday that his "Plan A" is to attend college.
    "Texas has always been my dream school. I’ve always wanted to go there," said the talented high school catcher. "That’s Plan A right now. But I’m going to keep an open mind and everything." The Red Sox made Swihart the 26th overall pick in this year's draft and will do everything they can to convince him to turn pro. Swihart, 19, should be swayed by a big signing bonus.
    Drafting high schoolers are so damn risky and this is just one of the reasons.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Drafting high schoolers are so damn risky and this is just one of the reasons.
    Keith Law and others are convinced that he's going to take the 6 mil and go pro... I'm sure when it's a team like Boston they got a number that they were willing to pay, considering their track record with signing their 1st round picks for way above slot, Im going to believe he's going to sign

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Boston Day 1 Draft Picks

I'm all for it and agree, just saying there is that risk. Any HS kid that doesn't want instant money to become a professional ballplayer is a complete moron.