Thread: Why not Ryan Doumit?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Red Sox Why not Ryan Doumit?

Why aren't the Red Sox trading for this guy? The only reason I can come up with is his CS%. The Red Sox are looking for someone that can throw people out but Doumit can hit...for a catcher. Right now the Red Sox have Varitek and Salty behind the plate. Varitek is sporting a .431 OPS while Salty has an OPS of .500. Both are just terrible and shouldn't be MLB worthy. Combined they have 0 HRs and 8 RBI in 104 ABs. The Red Sox should be more worried about offense than throwing out the occasional runner. Doumit has 2 HRs and 9 RBI in half the ABs to go along with a .759 OPS. Nothing great but a vast improvement. It wouldn't take much to get Doumit either as the Pirates have been eager to unload this guy since the offseason began. All the Red Sox would have to do is eat most of his contract and send over a mid level prospect. I know its early but does anyone see V-tek and Salty turning things around? Better yet, does anyone see the Red Sox going to the playoffs with these guys behind the plate? I know I don't. Boston is only four games out of first at the moment so its not all bad but I think Doumit could be a boost to what has been a very disappointing offense so far. I don't see any better options at this point.

MLB ERA

Re: Why not Ryan Doumit?

because they don't view doumit as a bit upgrade over salty... they believe in salty and are going to give him every chance to succeed
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Have fun with all that!! They have contacted Bengie Molina recently but they don't want Doumit? Nice thinking Epstein

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Have fun with all that!! They have contacted Bengie Molina recently but they don't want Doumit? Nice thinking Epstein
    Molina won't cost them specs... he wouldn't be a bad option either
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Doumit wouldn't cost the Red Sox anything they would miss as the Pirates would like more to move his salary than anything. Molina is 36 years old coming off a season where he hit only 5 HRs and 36 RBI to go along with a .623 OPS (.599 in the AL). To say he's not a bad option is silly. Doumit is the Sox best option right now and moving forward.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Doumit wouldn't cost the Red Sox anything they would miss as the Pirates would like more to move his salary than anything. Molina is 36 years old coming off a season where he hit only 5 HRs and 36 RBI to go along with a .623 OPS (.599 in the AL). To say he's not a bad option is silly. Doumit is the Sox best option right now and moving forward.
    Its the pirates they always as for an arm and a leg for guys... I'm just saying they won't give up on salty so quickly...maybe in a month or 2
    MSLSeattle0001

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The only way the Pirates would ask for an arm and a leg is if the Pirates eat the majority of his salary, something they don't want to do and the reason he was shopped all offseason.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I think they should just find a catcher that can throw out base runners. Neither catcher they have do that, and neither will that Molina or D'oh-mit. They have a lineup that's more than capable of functioning without much offense from the catching position. I don't know if there's a defensive option out there, I'm sure there is, but that would be more beneficial. Tampa can still run, Baltimore and New York have guys that can steal a bunch, and current contenders like Cleveland, Texas, and LAA also push the issue on the bases.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pudge would be an option if you just want defense. I think Doumit would be an improvement in both areas, only a slighter one on defense