Thread: AGon Extension Talks

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Red Sox AGon Extension Talks

Adrian Gonzalez's agent John Boggs told the Boston Herald that a meeting with the Red Sox on Tuesday went "very well."
    "Everything went really well," said Boggs. "What we’re on schedule to do is hopefully get something resolved some point in April and move from there. Our meeting really consisted in catching up with them on particulars we left off in December and try to advance those. I’m sure we made pretty good strides there. Our main goal obviously is to ensure that Adrian’s healthy and playing everyday as a major league ballplayer. Once that actually happens, the beginning of the season takes place, hopefully we’ll get something done sometime in April.’’ The two sides are expected to finalize a contract worth approximately $154 million shortly after the season begins. Similar to the Josh Beckett extension last year, the move will allow the Red Sox to avoid luxury tax implications.
    I am predicting a May signing for AGon. That will allow the Red Sox to see just how that shoulder is responding to his offseason surgery. AGon should have a monster year if that shoulder holds up and will definitely get paid like the elite player he is.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: AGon Extension Talks

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I am predicting a May signing for AGon.
    Off by a couple of weeks

Red Sox signed 1B Adrian Gonzalez to a seven-year, $154 million contract extension.
    The deal was agreed upon back in December, but the announcement of it was delayed into the season in order for the Red Sox to save some money under the MLB's luxury tax. The average annual salary of $22 million is the eighth-highest deal for active players in the game today. Gonzalez is batting .268/.362/.439 with one home run in his first 11 games as a member of the Red Sox.
    Quite the bump in pay from the $5.5 million he's making this year. AGon will be 37 when this deal is up and playing first base should keep him fresh enough to where he production will still be at a high level then, especially in Fenway. AGon has been about the only Red Sox to hit worth a damn so far so why not get this deal done now and give the "Nation" something to be happy about. Time for the Cards to step their game up and offer seven years, $200 million to Pujols.

MLB ERA

22 mil per year. Yep. No way the Padres could have afforded to keep him.

MLB ERA

How successful do you think he'll be throughout the lifetime of this deal? 37 isn't old by steroid era standards, but I think he'll see some decline from 34 until the end of the deal.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    22 mil per year. Yep. No way the Padres could have afforded to keep him.
    Could have asked Khalil Green to come back and prostitute himself out to fund the contract. Or sell brownies and lemonade.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Dry1313 View Post
    How successful do you think he'll be throughout the lifetime of this deal? 37 isn't old by steroid era standards, but I think he'll see some decline from 34 until the end of the deal.
    I see him doing a lot better than Oritz is in his decline. A lot better.

MLB ERA

Oritz ran out of eye drops.. Lay off him.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I see him doing a lot better than Oritz is in his decline. A lot better.
    Definitely. Then again, conditioning is always something to worry about with the "heavier" 1B.

AGon has the discipline though.