Thread: Pitching staff redone

Pitching staff redone

I could post all the details, but here's the quick version

Alvarez down
    Vazquez (SS) down
    Dinardo (LENNY!) up
    Gonzalez (SP) up
    Papelbon had 6 no-hit innings and 10 Ks in AA

Also, Damon now has a 19 game hitting streak, Sox are 2-4 in their last six (ICK!)

Arroyo is likely to head to the pen when Schill comes back even after an 8 IP/3 R game today.

That is all, ASG Selections coming up. I think the Sox can realistically get up to 5 (Damon, Ramirez, Varitek, Ortiz, Clement), or if Tito REALLY wants a MR and decides to screw over Crain in Minnesota, Timlin.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wade Miller should be in the bullpen.

Wade Miller's an odd case right now. He has an ERA under 4 after the first inning and over 10 in the first. Steak, Lynch, mntwinsfan, this sounds like Radke, doesn't it.

However, Foulke has some major issues he needs to solve. He lost the game for the Sox tonight, only having success really against Dellucci and Soriano (who he HBP when Soriano was down 0-2). Argh!

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    I don't know about Miller in the pen. I don't know if his shoulder could take being warmed up and used 3 to 4 times a week. Plus who is to say he'd be effective there? I was intrigued by an idea floated out there that the Sox could trade for a less than average starter, say a Brett Tomko for example, and throw him in the pen. That would cost far less in terms of a trade than trading for one of the few middle relievers that are out there right now.

Plus, doesn't it seem like every move we've made for middle relief lately has gone bad? The last person I can think of that we traded for during a season who was any good after we got him was Embree.

You make a good point. I do have my worries about bringing in an outside pitcher and relying on him down the homestretch. I can't remember the last deadline deal for the Sox that brought a RP that helped us. I know Larry Andersen did in 1990...too bad he cost the Sox Bagwell. Trading for pitching hasn't been a strong point in Sox history.

A less-than-stellar starter could do very well in the pen, the transition has happened, but it's also more risky. Of course, it can't get much worse then bringing in Suppan and Sauersuck in 2003.

Your concerns on Miller are warranted, plus he has been getting smoked in the first while being just short of an all-star from there on. Just focusing on that first isn't necessarily a good idea.

I was going to make a new topic, but I'll post it here. The possibility that Schilling returns as a relief pitcher to get his ability back to where is should be has been floated, and he could end up as a temp. closer until we find a replacement from within. Also, Wells has volunteered to be the closer as well, an intriguing possibility.

I was going to make a new to

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    Having Schilling to come out of the pen would be very cool, and it's a really interesting possibility. I don't think that's ever been attempted before by an ace starter coming back from an injury. I wonder who came up with that? Do you think Schilling came up with it on his own?

Reminds me a bit of Smoltz, except Smoltz had more serious problems.

It could very well be Schilling's idea or it could be Tito's. I'd be very interested to see it happen, especially after a Wakefield start to see if the other guys could catch up after 8 innings of knuckleballs and the slowest heater in baseball.

If Smoltz can do it, I bet Schilling can. Although I doubt it will be as permanent.