Thread: Pedroia at SS?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Red Sox Pedroia at SS?

Only in Boston could this be a sign of the Armageddon,

Faced with a vacancy at shortstop following the departure of Alex Gonzalez via free agency, the Red Sox are thinking outside the box.
    So why not fix it with short round,

"They've asked me if I think I could play shortstop," Pedroia told ESPN's Peter Gammons. "They've put it out there and I've told them I'm all for it. I can do it. I can't wait for [Terry Francona] to call me and ask, 'Can you do it?' I can do it. I really want to do it."

Pedroia was an All-American shortstop at Arizona State, and takes ground balls at the position during the season. The staff has thrown it out to him, realizing that it might be easier to sign or acquire an everyday, defensive second baseman than a shortstop.

I'm sure Scutaro, Phillips, or whatever streaky hitter will still be around later. Look how long Hudson lasted last season before he was signed.

There is some hesitation from the Red Sox about signing free agent Marco Scutaro, between the plantar fasciitis that bothered him late in the season and the possibility of giving up a first-round draft pick to sign him if the Blue Jays offer him arbitration Monday. There are voices in the organization that believe that another possibility is second baseman Brandon Phillips, who was a shortstop in the Montreal and Cleveland organizations and hit 20 homers for the Reds last season.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb...ory?id=4702985

I believe they should stop dicking around, follow Bill Simmons' advice and go for a feared bat like Miguel Cabrera, and then worry about the rest of the lineup later.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: Pedroia at SS?

I read this earlier. O Dawg to be the BoSox 2B? I wish the Reds would look at this and take a few tips. BP would be nice at SS and open up a spot for his best friend in the game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Gammons says the Sox are interested in my boy Phillips. I say it's pure speculation based on last weeks rumors that had the Reds listening for offers. Yet Jocketty denied those rumors and said he wasn't shopping anyone and that they were media driven.

Anyhow, here is the Link

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If the Reds weren't completely boneheaded, they would have swooped in with a superior offer last season, when AGon clearly wasn't the answer (despite what the party line was.) Votto-Hudson-Phillips-Rolen.... that certainly would look better than any infield we have had in years.

As for Pedroia, he could handle the move but teams like the Red Sox typically do not need to make these kinds of moves when they have the resources to plug the hole they got with a part that fits instead of making a part they have fit.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Agreed mission. It's not like the Sox absolutely have to make this move. But man, what I wouldn't give to see Phillips saying those words and challenging Jocketty and Dusty to think outside their norm.

Plus, like I said before, Phillips and Hudson are really good friends. Would Phillips move so his buddy can come in?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ahh the possibilities...

BP and O Dawg

MLB ERA

If Pedroia was going to ever play short, it would have happened by now. Really, who was blocking him? This is Papelbon the starter all over again.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

When you have a name like Jed, likely you are not blocking anyone to anything (or rather, you shouldn't be able to.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

All he has to do is add an "i" to his name and I think he explodes in 2010.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Minor Leaguer
    AA ERA

Red Sox Re: Pedroia at SS?

As everyone knows now the whole thing is a moot point now, but I didn't think they would ever do it, IMO.
    God Bless You !!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Yeah I think it was all a ploy to get Scutaro to come along quicker. Koz, I just read that Jedi mind trick, hilarious.