Thread: Julio Lugo DFA'd

MLB ERA

Reds Julio Lugo DFA'd

Per mlbtraderumors.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MLB Trade Rumors
    The Red Sox designated Julio Lugo for assignment according to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com. The move is not surprising, as Lugo did not travel to Toronto with the Red Sox, who need roster space for players returning from injury.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports hears that the Red Sox consider Lugo a "sunk cost" and would expect very little in return for him in any trade. Lugo will likely be released if the Red Sox can't trade him.

The 33-year-old has a .352 OBP and fields well enough, so he figures to draw some interest.
    Are they really that impressed with Nick Green?

Early reports are that the Cards and Mets are the "favorites" to "win his services. As bad as the Reds SS situation is I hope they don't get tied up in a huge bidding war. They arent "that close" to being anything more than fodder in the playoff picture. Hopefully Walt is inquiring about what it would take for Lugo but if its anything more than a bleh spect or two Walt walks away and waits for Lugo to hit the open market.

I also hope the Reds are taking notes about "sunk costs" from Boston as it pertains to one catcher and one centerfielder whom both have been largely outplayed by rookies but Duhhhsty refuses to bench either.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Julio Lugo DFA'd

Hernandez was playing great and then he was overused, which is not his fault. He played way more than he would be used to and his numbers suffered (playing 1B for the injured Votto.) Until then, he was hitting great and handling the pitching staff like a pro would.

As for Lugo, meh. The Reds really need to find a SS of the future. Lugo would help our situation but would not push us over the edge.

MLB ERA

Re: Julio Lugo DFA'd

The rumor is that the Red Sox will basically give away Lugo, and pay most of his contract. For 500k, I'd take him on the Mets.....he wouldn't be spectacular, but maybe he can show more than he has this year.