Thread: Boxscore: Red Sox-Yankees

Boxscore: Red Sox-Yankees

Yahoo Sport: Red Sox-Yankees

One of a ton of games between Yanks-Sox. Better try next time.

Wells pitched horrible though, and wouldn't doubt if he retires after this season or in the next couple of seasons.

One start does not a pitcher make. Let's see how he does over the course of a season.

We're not talking about a young pitcher here. Wells is old, injured for the most part of his latter career. Last night was signs of that he'll be retiring soon. He's on the decline.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    One start does not a pitcher make. Let's see how he does over the course of a season.
    I reiterate. If and when Johnson has a bad start, I'll be sure to remind you

You do that.

You have to keep in mind Johnson was a better pitcher in his career than David Wells. RJ has shown no decline, unlike Wells has.

His last three years have been better than any stretch during his career going back to 1993-1995. I don't see the decline. His ERA last year was the lowest it had been since 1998.

No one is denying Johnson is better, but Wells hasn't shown this decline, and his injuries aren't that bad. He's only had one season of 30 > games since 1996

His SOs have fallen from his career average. Not to mention this guy is 42, and he's had a great career. Sometimes is just best to retire and not to try and stretch out your career. I think if Wells keeps it up this season, he will retire. Let's just see him in a couple more games, if he consistently pitches well.....i'll make sure to come back to this forum, and take back all my statements.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    they're both old and will be retiring within the next 2 or 3 years...