Thread: Francona's decided on the pen, undecided on the roation.

Francona's decided on the pen, undecided on the roation.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...ect_is_closed/

Francona indicates the subject is closed
    By Nick Cafardo, Globe Staff | June 30, 2005

The Red Sox are saying they'll stick with closer Keith Foulke and hope he finds himself.

One reason, according to general manager Theo Epstein, is that the price for a reliever is prohibitive at the moment.

''As usual, demand outweighs supply for quality pitchers this time of year," said Epstein, who doesn't appear interested in giving up top prospects for a reliever.

Manager Terry Francona said there is no ''quarterback controversy" about whether Mike Timlin, who earned the save yesterday, could possibly share the role with Foulke. He ruled out physical issues associated with Foulke's problems in save situations, in which he has an 11.00 ERA.

Well, that's not really surprising. Foulke's had a LOT of issues this year (although less lately than earlier in the year), but with a lot of teams still in the race combined with Foulke's history, there's no reason to take him out like the White Sox did (who proceeded to get brutalized in a trade with Beane for him).

Francona is asked almost daily about who will go to the bullpen when Curt Schilling returns.

''I can't tell you that. I don't even know who it's going to be," he said. ''It depends on what the situation is. It depends on who it is. But when the time comes, [we'll] tell [the player] the truth. That's how we do things here. If you tell them the truth, they might not like it, but they'll deal with it. If you don't tell players the truth, they'll resent it for a long time."

Francona on Wade Miller's recent woes, especially early in games: ''I think it's a little bit misleading. We can't forget what he's coming back from [shoulder tendinitis forced him to miss the second half of 2004]. I don't think it's hesitancy, but as he gets into the competition of the game, he's better. I'm sure guys who have gone through what he's gone through, once it kicks in and competes, he's pretty good. He's gone through a lot and I guess we just can't forget that. He got behind on the count a lot [Tuesday] and that made it tough."

This is a little more disconcerting. Sure, you want to keep all your pitchers in the right mindset until Schilling comes back, but I hope he's really just keeping it a secret. I would want to see either Miller or Arroyo in the pen, likely Miller because although he's been struggling, he has fantastic stuff and could be the Scott Williamson the Sox need, or Arroyo due to prior experience. Both are MLB-starter caliber though, so who knows.

Also, on the Draft Pick Front

Epstein reports there is progress being made in negotiations with No. 1 draft pick Jacoby Ellsbury, the speedy center fielder from Oregon State. However, Epstein said the team's second first-rounder, Craig Hansen, the closer from St. John's, ''is a more difficult sign, but we're working hard at it." There have been suggestions that Epstein might be negotiating a major league deal with Hansen. Given some of the bullpen woes, it might not be a stretch to think Hansen could be signed and join the major league team this season

I wish these guys could just get onto a minor league team ASAP. The major league team could use Hansen in a few months and at least Ellsbury is making progress.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

According to BA, Clay Bucholtz, Michael Bowden, and Jon Egan, two supplemental 1sts and a second rounder have signed with the team along with 17 other of the Sox picks making 20 picks signed by the Sox management already.

AA ERA
    The really cool thing about the MLB draft is how quick players get playing. Simokatis played his final game as a Husker last Tuesday and just over a week later was in the lineup for the Peoria Chiefs.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Last year's highest pick is already in AAA for the Sox, he could be up in September.

AA ERA
    Was he a college guy? Every once in a while you get guys who can help you now. The opposite of the NFL.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Yep, Pedroia was from, I think, Arizona State.