Thread: MVP Signs Six Year Deal

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Red Sox MVP Signs Six Year Deal

Red Sox signed second baseman Dustin Pedroia to a six-year, $40.5 million contract with a club option for 2105.
    Pedroia will receive a $1.5 million signing bonus, $1.5 million in 2009, $3.5 million in 2010, $5.5 million in 2011, $8 million in 2012, $10 million in 2013 and $10 million in 2014. The 2015 option, which would be voided if Pedroia is traded, is worth $11 million and includes a $500,000 buyout. It could rise to $13 million if Pedroia wins another MVP or finishes in the top three twice. This looks like a flat-out steal for the Red Sox. With good health, the 25-year-old Pedroia stood to make at least $30 million in his three arbitration years and then probably $20 million minimum in his first two years of free agency. He may have nowhere to go but down after winning ROY and MVP awards in consecutive seasons, but it should be a fun ride.
    Obviously this is a smart move. Question is who gets locked up next? Youkilis would be my bet since he is just a Gold Glove where ever he goes and the man can flat out grow a beard, I mean hit. Congrats to Pedroia for getting a well deserved long term contract!

MLB ERA

Re: MVP Signs Six Year Deal

Nice work Red Sox, signing your young guys to fair offers for both sides, which in FA seems to not exist anymore
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

This contract seems similar to the ones the Mets signed with both Wright and Reyes. Personally, seeing the guys that have their arby years ahead of them give that up to sign long term deals makes me happy, because it shows that they have a rare quality called loyalty to a team. Good for Pedroia, and for the Sox.

MLB ERA

I don't see loyalty, I see cost certainty.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I also see the Red Sox saving money and getting a steal.

MLB ERA

Agreed, but its Pedroia's willingness to sign a deal, forfeiting money, that shows loyalty to the Sox...

AA ERA

Great move by Red Sox management to get such a deal signed by Pedroia. If Pedroia can continue to produce similar numbers such as last season, this will look like a steal in a few years.

I agree with you reefer that the BoSox will eventually work on a long term contract with Youkilis regardless if they manage to sign Texeira in FA. I say that because its likely the player to go in that scenario would be Lowell and having Youk move to 3B.

On a side note, regardless if we sign Texeira or not, I just hope we don't move Lars Anderson. I'm more excited about him than just about any Red Sox prospect in recent memory.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

The Red Sox of the 2000 era are acting like the 90's Yankees with developing the farm and supplementing in FA while the Yankees in the 2000 era are acting like the 90's Sox trying to buy everything
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs