Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Varitek Done In Boston?

MLB ERA

Re: Is Varitek Done In Boston?

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    I think the point is that if a guy is that prone to getting blisters, and he's almost a lock to miss significant time in 5 out of 7 years, maybe he's not injury prone, but there's gotta be a word for it.

...Not that I think his stuff is going anywhere anytime soon...
    Unlucky?

The concern is for the future. Unless you're supersticious I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

But the thing is that when you get blisters, you are more likely to CONTINUE to get blisters. So, even though they seem like a minor injury, they are more than likely to continue.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    Yeah he calls more fastballs than any other catcher in baseball. He couldn't throw out a runner to save his you know what... And if he comes up with runners on base, you better hope for a strikeout, cause otherwise a double play is on the way. He's gone too far down hill. He needs to be replaced, I'm not sure how but they need to come up with a better catcher. Anybody have a top notch young catcher in exchange for a Clay Buchholz? The Red Sox offseason should consist of upgrading at catcher and middle relief.
    and w/ all that he STILL came up big once in the TB series which ios something as Yankee fans we never see from ARod. I HOPE they replace him b/c he is an important guy on that team. Stats don't always tell the whole story.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Boston Herald, agent Scott Boras said Tuesday that Jorge Posada's four-year, $52.4 million contract "will serve as a benchmark for any team looking to land" Jason Varitek.
    To put the absurdity of that comparison into context, consider that Posada hit .338/.426/.543 with 20 homers and 90 RBI in the season before signing his four-year deal. Meanwhile, Varitek batted .220/.313/.359 with 13 homers and 43 RBI in 2008. Gotta love agents.
    Another reason why Varitek shouldn't be re-signed.

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    and w/ all that he STILL came up big once in the TB series which ios something as Yankee fans we never see from ARod. I HOPE they replace him b/c he is an important guy on that team. Stats don't always tell the whole story.
    Sorry, but I don't want to see my team sign guys to huge contracts based on the fact he come up big in one at bat that basically meant nothing in the end. Running an organization in that nature is largely the reason that the Yankees have the highest payroll by a huge margin, and the past few years have had a team of overaged, overpriced players. The Yankees have an opportunity to correct that this season, time will tell if they have learned anything. Bottom line, signing Varitek to a 4 year deal for that kind of money would be a terrible deal!!!! If he wants over a one year deal then he needs to go for sure.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to WEEI in Boston, the Red Sox have offered Jason Varitek a one-year contract.
    Agent Scott Boras has said previously that he believes Varitek should get the same type of deal as the four-year, $52 million contract Jorge Posada recently signed with the Yankees, but WEEI reports that even the Red Sox's one-year offer "didn't approach the annual average commanded by" Posada.
    One year deal is the way to go here. Epstein shouldn't go past it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Boras is refuting the report.

MLB ERA

So I know I put this in my Predictions but Tek is Class A, we will get 2 picks for him, thats awesome! Trade buchholz for one of the Rangers catchers that can catch a knuckleball, its so smart to take the picks and run
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

AA ERA

It's no secret that Boston has been in negiotiations with the Rangers regarding their catchers, primarily Salty and Teagarden. The Rangers seem insistent on getting Clay Buccholz in return for either, which isn't going to happen. I would go as far to say I highly doubt Epstein would even be willing to part with Masterson in a deal for either Salty or Teagarden. If such a deal is to ever be worked out between the BoSox and Texas, it's likely the Rangers will have to settle on Bowden being the centerpiece.

Regarding Varitek, regardless if Boston trades for a younger, ML ready C, I believe he will be back in Boston on some type of 1-year deal.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

Why should the Rangers have to settle? They're the ones with the extra catcher and Boston's the one who desperately needs a catcher.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Varitek was offered arbitration and will likely just have to settle for that. Maybe the Sox could sign Pudge to split time with Varitek?

AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    Why should the Rangers have to settle? They're the ones with the extra catcher and Boston's the one who desperately needs a catcher.
    Because Jon Daniels is their GM ... I agree with your logic, but I think it's fair to say because of these moves he's made regarding pitching...

Edinson Volquez: 15-5, 2.73 ERA 150 K to Cincinnati
    Chris Young: 9-8 3.12 ERA 176 K to San Diego
    John Danks: 10-5 3.11 ERA 130 K to Chicago White Sox
    Armando Galarraga: 11-4 3.11 ERA 92K to Detroit

That Texas may be just as desperate for pitching as we are for a C.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Varitek was offered arbitration and will likely just have to settle for that. Maybe the Sox could sign Pudge to split time with Varitek?
    I agree with you regarding Tek, although I do feel Boston will end up trading for a better, more long term option at C rather than signing someone such as Pudge.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34 View Post
    Because Jon Daniels is their GM ... I agree with your logic, but I think it's fair to say because of these moves he's made regarding pitching...

Edinson Volquez: 15-5, 2.73 ERA 150 K to Cincinnati
    Chris Young: 9-8 3.12 ERA 176 K to San Diego
    John Danks: 10-5 3.11 ERA 130 K to Chicago White Sox
    Armando Galarraga: 11-4 3.11 ERA 92K to Detroit

That Texas may be just as desperate for pitching as we are for a C.
    I did almost mention the Chris Young/Adrian Gonzalez trade in that post to state he might do it anyways, but I didn't want to come off as bragging about my nearly 100 loss team.

AA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I did almost mention the Chris Young/Adrian Gonzalez trade in that post to state he might do it anyways, but I didn't want to come off as bragging about my nearly 100 loss team.
    The way I look at it, you gotta take em, where you can get em regardless

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast