Thread: Red Sox to set MLB sellout record

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

Red Sox Red Sox to set MLB sellout record

Red Sox to set MLB sellout record | redsox.com: News

BOSTON -- At the time, there was no reason to think May 15, 2003, was anything but another Thursday on the Fenway Park schedule. The Red Sox defeated the Texas Rangers by a score of 14-3 that night, backed by Pedro Martinez's pitching and the offensive firepower of Nomar Garciaparra, Bill Mueller and Jason Varitek.

And yes, there was a sellout at Fenway Park to cheer the home team through that win. For whatever reason, that was when the never-ending string of packed houses started at the historic bandbox on Yawkey Way. More than five years later, it has yet to stop.

When the Red Sox take on the Tampa Bay Rays on Monday night to kick off their next homestand, they will make baseball history.

Well, check that. Red Sox fans will make baseball history. The 456th consecutive sellout at Fenway Park will break the record set by the Cleveland Indians' die-hards, who packed Jacobs Field for all 455 home games played from June 12, 1995-April 2, 2001.

Who could have seen a record like this coming back in 2003, when the Red Sox were consumed with trying to snap a so-called curse -- or championship drought -- that had lasted more than eight decades?

"While we recognized and appreciated the incredible passion for the Red Sox, I do not think any of us in the front office could have imagined that this streak was about to begin," said Sam Kennedy, executive vice president/chief sales and marketing officer for the Red Sox. "We are humbled by the commitment of the best fans in baseball, and to be clear, this is their record, not ours. The club is simply the vehicle they have used to accomplish this incredible feat."

Varitek, David Ortiz, Tim Wakefield and Mike Timlin are the four Boston players who have been with the team throughout the record-setting streak, while countless others have either departed or arrived, all the while riding the wave of the passionate home crowds.
    Red Sox to set MLB sellout record

MLB ERA

Re: Red Sox to set MLB sellout record

Go Sox!!!
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

MLB ERA

That's incredible. Congrats to the fans for setting that record.

AA ERA

And they say the Yankees have the best fans
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34 View Post
    And they say the Yankees have the best fans
    Your Stadium holds 33,000 or so fans, ours holds 55k+. You SHOULD be selling out every game.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by nyjunc View Post
    Your Stadium holds 33,000 or so fans, ours holds 55k+. You SHOULD be selling out every game.
    When the population of your city is over 8 million and 1 million for the city of Bronx(where the Yankees play), compared to 600k for the Boston, you guys are the ones who should be setting records.

AAA ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFanatic View Post
    When the population of your city is over 8 million and 1 million for the city of Bronx(where the Yankees play), compared to 600k for the Boston, you guys are the ones who should be setting records.
    We also have 2 MLB teams, 9 major pro sports teams and alot more competition for the entertainment dollar PLUS half the City population doesn't know what a baseball is. When you break it down the difference isn't that great and you guys are the team for an entire region. You get fans from all the NE States and again only have a Stadium that hols 33K or so. We've been averaging 50K+ for years.