Thread: Curt Schilling Update

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Curt Schilling Update

BOSTON -- When Curt Schilling reported to Spring Training on Feb. 14, the Red Sox estimated that he would be rehabbing and strengthening his injured right shoulder for six to eight weeks, a plan that wouldn't consist of any type of throwing.

Though Thursday will mark exactly eight weeks from when that estimate was made, Schilling hasn't yet graduated to the crucial step in his recovery -- baseball activities.

Schilling is understandably antsy to start throwing, for that will be the best gauge to see if his arm is responding well to the rehab. But until the Red Sox give him the green light, the big righty remains in a holding pattern.

"We're trying to get him to a point to where when he does start throwing, he can legitimately go out and use the baseball and not go backwards in terms of arm strength," said manager Terry Francona. "I think [assistant trainer] Mike Reinold feels like he's done a good job. He's not there yet. Again, I know Schill is champing at the bit to throw, which I can understand. That's where they get their enjoyment, doing what they do."

The Red Sox believe that if they were to indulge Schilling by letting him throw now, it would be a costly mistake.

"I don't think Mike thinks [Schilling's] at that point where we can rightfully hope that he would be able to go out and pitch for a while without going backwards," Francona said.

In a best-case scenario, Schilling will return to the Red Sox right around the All-Star break.
    Schilling obviously wants to get out there, but I have no reason to believe the Sox will do anything other than be very cautious with him. Interesting part at the end of the article, that in a best case scenario he returns around the All Star break...I think it'll be after that but who knows.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Re: Curt Schilling Update

I don't reasonably see Schilling getting back anytime before august. I mean, Schilling's arm is supposedly really damaged, and he is lucky that he has any chance to get through it without surgery. He may be able to be a serviceable starter, but I'm worried that without surgery, he may not even return to being the 2 starter he was last year.

He'll never be an effective starter again!!! If Colon gets healthy, he's the one who can help the team. Best case scenario for the Red Sox on Schilling is that he doesn't recover before Sept., that way we don't waste a roster space on him. I'd hate to see them release Julian Tavarez or someone of even slight value to make a spot for Schilling in what would be a "maybe" scenario at best. If he's capable of starting prior to Sept. I'm worried that the team will feel obligated to give him a shot, and he really was quite poor last year except in the playoffs.

MLB ERA

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3384465

According to the most recent ESPN report, Schilling has begun throwing a baseball at this phase in his rehab, however, he is not yet ready to throw off of a mound. This seems like a bit of an advancement, but I'm not sure how much longer it will actually be until he throws off a mound. His rehab included only 25 tosses from 60 feet, on flat ground, which will be repeated within the next few days. There is still no timetable on Curt's return

Closed
    AAA ERA

From what I heard on Schilling is that he is working right on schedule, but like you said it is much to early in the rehab process to set a time table for his return. I just want him to continue to progress and have no major setbacks in his rehab.