Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox Sign Bartolo Colon

MLB ERA

Red Sox Red Sox Sign Bartolo Colon

Quote Originally Posted by RotoWorld
    ESPN.com is reporting that the Red Sox and Bartolo Colon have agreed to a minor league contract.
    We're really not expecting much from Colon, but since the cost is only a minor league deal, it's a fine gamble for Boston. Ideally, he'd start out in Triple-A and get the call the first time the Red Sox need an extra starter. He'd probably be a significant downgrade from Clay Buchholz or Jon Lester if he makes the team out of spring training.
    He didn't do so good after coming back from the DL so I wouldn't expect much from him in '08.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Re: Red Sox Sign Bartolo Colon

II remember when he was one of the brightest yound pitchers in baseball. He got really fat, and that's when the problems started. The Indians saw what was coming and traded him to the Angels back when he was still worth something.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

MLB ERA

the Indians traded him to Montreal then they dealt him to Angels later that same season
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Bad move here. Colon is washed up. Since when doe's Boston need to add a starting picher? I know Curt is hurt but still. Better hope Colon has his weight under control.
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Halladay_is_God View Post
    the Indians traded him to Montreal then they dealt him to Angels later that same season
    Actually, you're both wrong. Colon signed with the Angels as a free agent. Expos traded Colon to the White Sox.

This trade means Schilling isn't going to be pitching until the second half if at all. Colon wasn't that bad after the DL having a 3.95 ERA in September of '07. Colon will have to rely on his experience and not his fastball anymore. Good job by Theo too. Colon was looking for a $8 mil deal but is going to get around $1 mil if he makes the team.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Reports earlier this year said that Colon was struggling to reach the mid-80's.... if true, this seems like a longshot move at best and not a solution to Schilling's absence. But if you're Boston and you have the cash to spend, why not risk it I suppose.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Actually, you're both wrong. Colon signed with the Angels as a free agent. Expos traded Colon to the White Sox.

This trade means Schilling isn't going to be pitching until the second half if at all. Colon wasn't that bad after the DL having a 3.95 ERA in September of '07. Colon will have to rely on his experience and not his fastball anymore. Good job by Theo too. Colon was looking for a $8 mil deal but is going to get around $1 mil if he makes the team.
    thats what I get for not looking it up
    S3SL: Toronto Blue Jays' GM - rebuilding to division winner
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...illsnewbh6.jpg

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21 View Post
    Reports earlier this year said that Colon was struggling to reach the mid-80's.... if true, this seems like a longshot move at best and not a solution to Schilling's absence. But if you're Boston and you have the cash to spend, why not risk it I suppose.
    Lester and Buchholtz would have the leg up on filling Schilling's spot in the rotation. A move likes this just indicates that Schilling will not be ready for a long time if at all.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No, I know that. I am just saying given his health (coupled with obvious depth), there is no way the Red Sox are depending on him or expecting him to do anything but surprise them and turn into a steal.... which is worth the relatively small amount of cash to risk, even if most believe his turnaround would be unlikely for numerous reasons.

MLB ERA

Really, this isn't a bad move. Very low risk, relatively high reward, if he can produce at all.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Colon seemed like a perfect fit for Dave Duncan and the Cardinals.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Colon at this price though was probably willing to go to a place like Boston for the simple fact of it's a stage to showcase his talent. St. Louis would be a better fit for a reclamation project with Duncan, but if Colon is confident there is something left in the tank, Boston would be among the better places to show it off in for 2008-2009 free agency.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

It seems to me that this is another one of Theo's attempts at a genius signing.

How did that prized free agent Hee Seop Choi work out for him?

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post

Does anyone else love the irony in LTR pointing out two poster's inaccurate statements in regards to Colon's transaction history and then following it up by mentioning that the Red Sox just traded for him?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I love the fact that you have nothing to comment on the news topic, as usual.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast