Thread: Sox willing to give up Ellsbury

MLB ERA

Sox willing to give up Ellsbury

With the Minnesota Twins insisting on center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury in any trade for pitcher Johan Santana, the Red Sox have altered their offer and have told the Twins they are willing to include the outfielder.

But sources say the Red Sox have also told the Twins they will not trade left-handed pitcher Jon Lester and Ellsbury together in the package they are offering.

The Yankees, meanwhile, have informed the Twins that they are going to pull their offer off the table soon -- perhaps by Tuesday at the latest -- unless they get an answer. The Yankees changed their offer on Friday, adding pitcher Phil Hughes after much internal debate, to go along with Melky Cabrera and a third prospect.

The Yankees have told the Twins they will not give them one of their top prospects as the third player in their offer -- not pitchers Ian Kennedy or Alan Horne, or outfielder Austin Jackson, for example.

It's possible that the Twins may find that the offers from Boston and the Yankees are not acceptable, and decide, ultimately, to keep Santana. But executives involved in the trade talks fully expect that the Twins will trade Santana, and that they will make a decision within the next 72 hours on what offer they prefer. If either the Yankees or the Red Sox were to pull out of negotiations, the Twins' leverage would be greatly diminished.

What the choice for Minnesota may come down to, in the end, is this: Do they prefer Phil Hughes as the centerpiece player in a deal, or Ellsbury?

If the Twins do agree to a tentative deal, Santana must still agree to waive his no-trade clause, and in order to do that, Santana likely will ask for a six-year extension worth something in the range of a $150 million; he would become the first pitcher ever to sign for a multiyear deal for at least $20 million a year.
    ESPN - Sources: Red Sox willing to deal Ellsbury or Lester, not both - MLB

I'm kind of nervous now...I do not want to see Beckett and Santana in the same rotation. The Yankees would definetly place second next year if the Sox pulled this off. But I also wouldn't be suprised if the Sox were putting this out there to scare the Yankees...This could try to make the Yankees pull the trigger faster.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Sox willing to give up Ellsbury

I don't care as long as Haren doesn't end up with the Yankees or Red Sox...I'll flip out if he does. I don't think he'll end up being traded, but I could easily see the loser then trying counteract that move by overwhelming the A's with an offer.

MLB ERA

Ellsbury would look great in CF for the Twins. He would be flanked by Delmon Young and Michael Cuddyer. That would be an outfield with great arms and decent speed.
    If I had my way, I would take the Red Sox up on their offer and move Johan for the package including Ellsbury.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

MLB ERA

Please do...we've had a decent track record against Johan, and he's nothing special in the playoffs.

I'd take Hughes and Melky over Santana right now. The gap between what Hughes could be and Santana is now is not worth a Melky Cabrera.

Plus I absolutely love Phil Hughes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

As a Yankee fan, I'm sure you have heard "nothing special in the playoffs" a lot lately Beckett, Santana, Schilling, Dice-K and Buchholtz would dominate all of baseball.

If the Sox acquire Santana, they will be the most overwhelming favorite to win it all we've seen in years, possibly ever. So long as injury doesn't become a factor they will dominate. I'm all acquiring him, even if it means losing Ellsbury. I'd even have to consider Ellsbury and Lester if that is what it comes to.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    As a Yankee fan, I'm sure you have heard "nothing special in the playoffs" a lot lately Beckett, Santana, Schilling, Dice-K and Buchholtz would dominate all of baseball.
    As a Giants fan, you've probably heard "nothing special at all" about your team since 2003.

And something tells me they wouldn't...how come the Yankees haven't won anything since 2001? Because they are all prima donna all stars...well not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    If the Sox acquire Santana, they will be the most overwhelming favorite to win it all we've seen in years, possibly ever. So long as injury doesn't become a factor they will dominate. I'm all acquiring him, even if it means losing Ellsbury. I'd even have to consider Ellsbury and Lester if that is what it comes to.
    When's the last time the "overwhelming favorite" won the World Series?

The Yankees, before they started trying to buy championships.

Trust me, you will not repeat, with or without Santana.

Haha, they could repeat. They are certainly in a good position to repeat. All the key pieces are there. Now they might bring in the best pitcher in baseball as well. Sounds pretty good from where they're sitting.

Hey Dry,
    There are 30 teams in MLB. That's 1 in 30 odds!!!!! Favorites are just that, favorites. They still have to put it together on the field and there are so many uncontrollables. I would take a bet any time against one team before the season starts, cause the odds would be in my favor big time. That being said, with or without Santana, the Red Sox are in the best position to repeat since the Yankees last did it. By the way, I don't trust you, if they get Santana I see a repeat!!!!!!