Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2007-2008 Offseason Thread

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

2007-2008 Offseason Thread

Boston Red Sox : So.. What now?

AA ERA

Re: 2007-2008 Offseason Thread

First and foremost resign Lowell.. If we can get away with him taking a three year deal around $10-$11 million per season, I believe it's worth it because of the season he had last year and the importance of his presence in the clubhouse.

I also say we need to look at some other arms to place in the bullpen. Affeldt is one I like and think the Red Sox front office may take a look at.

Be watchful of the Red Sox potentially moving Crisp in the offseason and the Braves may be a potential suitor. I say that because after Ellsbury's performance in the World Series, I'm sure Theo is wanting to make him an everyday player in CF. If we can't resign Lowell, you may see us use Crisp to acquire another 3B.

Unfortunately, as of now we are stuck with J.D. Drew and the 4 years and nearly $56 million remaining on his contract. Hopefully he can return to his old self before he came to Boston. Also, we are going to be stuck with Lugo at SS because he has 3 years remaining with a combined worth of around $24 million. Hopefully both Lugo and Drew can come around next season and put up better numbers than they did this year.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

J.D. will come around, I think Lugo will also. Some players just need a year or two in Boston. We should have stuck with Renteria longer than we did.

Bullpen arms are always a good addition. Resigning Lowell, but as you stated "not for more than 3 years" is a top priority. Let go of Schilling and Mirabelli. Only way I want Schilling back is for less than $8 million on a one year contract. Yep move Coco, unless he'll take a bench role. I'd like to see Kielty resigned. Biggest things I'd like to see is Lowell resigned, and Schilling gone in favor of a more consistent pitcher than he is at this stage in his career.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Red Sox have a three-year offer out to Mike Lowell that they may not be willing to budge off of, according to the Boston Globe.

Lowell will be able to get four or maybe even five years elsewhere, something the Red Sox must know. If they're sticking to three years, it better include a very good salary ($16 million per year or so). While Lowell wants to play in Boston, he can only leave so much money on the table.
    Boston is smart not to exceed three years especialy with guys like Cabrera and Crede available. I think Lowell will stay in Boston because they have a great chance to repeat.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

According to the Boston Herald, the Red Sox have offered Mike Lowell a three-year contract worth between $12 million and $15 million per season.
    Boston is holding strong to their plan to avoid a fourth year, which Lowell could likely get elsewhere, but $15 million per season might make him consider the three-year deal. The newspaper also reports that the Red Sox are "unlikely" to trade for Miguel Cabrera and could potentially replace Mike Lowell by acquiring a first baseman and sliding new Gold Glover Kevin Youkilis back across the diamond.
    Sounds about right to me.

Over 3 years would be a big mistake, they should stick to the offer. Fact of the matter is Lowell leaving will hurt the Red Sox far more than he will help any team who gets him. I think Cabrera is a good fit also, simply because if his defense continues to be subpar at third, then Youk could move over there and Cabrera could play first. I still think Lowell will accept the 3 year deal and be back though.

MLB ERA

I heard Lowell wants a fourth year...Hopefully he turns it down so the Yankees can go after him.
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

I hope not; then we would be giving him 4+ years.

MLB ERA

Why not sign him to a 3 year 38 mil and make it a club option for a 4th year? I think thats fair offer and a good happy medium for both parties.

I'm all for a club option for a 4th year, then they can opt out of year 4 if they'd like. If it takes 4 guaranteed years to sign him, then the Yanks can have him. It will hurt, but the wound will heal when the Yankees are paying him in those 3rd and 4th years for doing nothing. If you need an example look at Johnny Damon!!!!!!!

Oi! Johnny D is still alright. His issues this year stemmed from coming into camp overweight. Now if he does that again...

Still, Lowell would be worse than Damon. Lowell can't hit away from Fenway to begin with.

MLB ERA

A decision should be made soon on Lowell tonight...

With their exclusive negotiating rights set to expire at midnight, the Red Sox [team stats] continued to work with Mike Lowell’s agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, in hopes of reaching an agreement before the deadline.

Following yesterday’s talks, both sides understand that Lowell will certainly be able to garner more money from teams such as the New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers, Philadelphia Phillies or Los Angeles Angels than he would from the Red Sox.

The question that continues to linger is how much the 33-year-old third baseman is willing to leave on the table in order to remain with the Sox.

Reports out of New York suggest that the Yankees were prepared to offer both catcher Jorge Posada and reliever Mariano Rivera deals in the vicinity of three years, $40 million each.

It is believed that Posada might be looking for a fourth year.
    Lowell deadline tonight - BostonHerald.com
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

[QUOTE=Veovis;321441]Oi! Johnny D is still alright. His issues this year stemmed from coming into camp overweight. Now if he does that again...
    [QUOTE]

Worst defensive CF in the league at this point in his career, only a handful of OF all together in the AL worse than him. The worst looms around that big green wall in Fenway!!!!!

Irregardless of weight or whatever issues he has, no way he's goig to be worth even close to $13 mil per for the rest of his contract. Not even close.

Hit the Nail on the head with Lowell though. Rep +

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

Red Sox Re: 2007-2008 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lance324 View Post
    Worst defensive CF in the league at this point in his career, only a handful of OF all together in the AL worse than him. The worst looms around that big green wall in Fenway!!!!!

Irregardless of weight or whatever issues he has, no way he's goig to be worth even close to $13 mil per for the rest of his contract. Not even close.
    Oh, I wasn't talking about his defense. No, that noodle arm is truly regrettable. His bat can still be potent though. He was finally in shape after the ASB and his OPS was over .800, so that's pretty good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast