Thread: Welcome Back, Lester

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

Red Sox Welcome Back, Lester

BOSTON -- Jon Lester is slated to return to the mound for the Boston Red Sox on Monday, nearly a year after his rookie season was cut short when he was diagnosed with cancer.

Lester was scheduled to replace Julian Tavarez for Monday's game at Cleveland, the 23-year-old left-hander's first major league appearance since he beat the Los Angeles Angels on Aug. 23 last year. The Red Sox said nine days later that he had a treatable form of lymphoma.

"I don't think it really has sunken in yet, and I don't think it will sink in until tomorrow when I get on the mound," Lester said Sunday.
    Read more at ESPN - Red Sox bring P Lester back, to start vs. Indians - MLB

Welcome back, Jon! It'll be rather challenging to come back at the major level after going through difficult ordeal with cancer/disease for any player going through the similar things like Jon Lester. He is well on his path to surpass that very soon. He'll survive and get back to where he used to be before he was diagnosed with cancer.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Welcome Back, Lester

Congrats to Lester!!!!

I like hearing about stories of truipmh and perservance. GREAT JOB!!!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Welcome Back, Lester

that's great news for him. He has been pitching really well in last few starts as well...If Lester comes back and does well, they'll have a nice youngish SP core with Dice-K, Beckett and Lester...I know Gabbard has pitched well lately, but I don't think he'll keep that up.

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

I don't watch Red Sox play, let alone watching them for a full game this season, but are they using 4 or 5 man rotation?

MLB ERA

as far as I know they use a 5-man with Beckett, Wakefield, Dice-K, Gabbard, and now Lester (it was Tavarez) currently...Schilling is hurt. Clement is rehabbing, but I think he's done as a Boston Red Sock...IIRC, this is the last year of his contract.

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    as far as I know they use a 5-man with Beckett, Wakefield, Dice-K, Gabbard, and now Lester (it was Tavarez) currently...Schilling is hurt. Clement is rehabbing, but I think he's done as a Boston Red Sock...IIRC, this is the last year of his contract.
    Damn, I totally forgot about Wakefield. You certainly can see when I'm not watching them play at all this year. I know that Schilling's out. Kason Gabbard should be in the rotation. Tavarez isn't the starting pitcher material. That's all good, the looks of this rotation apart the minus of Schilling.

Kinda tough on the Clements situation, if not for his injury, the Red Sox would probably not get ripped off on the deal.

They'll probably use Kason in the rotation until the teams figure him out with scouting. Soft-tossing lefties only last so long, unless they face Boston, where they are perpetually dominant.

And people overrate Lester's impact. I'll take 6 IP/3 ER and be happy if he can do that each time.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

Well, I think he'll be better than Wakefield and Tavarez if gets back to form. And with Schilling potentially leaving, he'll be important.

AAA ERA

Good to hear Lester's back, I wish him good health.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Welcome Back, Lester

Congrats to Lester. He gets the win in his return tonight against the Tribe

Bench Warmer
    Rookie ERA

Nice 2007 debut for him. He got off to a good start and hopefully out there for the rest of career without any more medical problems.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Even I was cheering a Sox win tonight. Not like it matters anyway because the Jays are definitely out of the race.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Don't think I can say I wanted the Red Sox to win many times, but I was happy to see Lester succeed. His perseverance is very inspiring and I am happy for him.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.