Thread: The Sox Need To Play Wily Mo

The Sox Need To Play Wily Mo

OK, I feel that I am a patient fan. And I realize the value of defense.

However, the Sox HAVE to bench Coco soon, I'm sorry. And they HAVE to play Pena.

First of all, Coco's defense will not be met by anyone the Sox could get, maybe besides Hunter, and the Twins won't give him up for anything but the tops in talent. Maybe not even that. I understand. I also understand Wily is a horrid, horrid fielder. CF is his strongest position, but no matter where he plays, it will be below average.

But how much horrid offense can we possibly stand to take from Coco before the administration just says "**** it" and lets Wily Mo start on a regular basis? Another month? Another two months? It's hard to believe that the difference between Coco's .570 OPS and WMP's likely .750-.800 OPS is dwarfed by the fielding.

The offense is stuttering, the pitching can only hold up for so long, and this black hole of hitting (two players on non-Wakefield days, three on Wakefield days) is just killing this team who was running away with the division. They need a boost, and now is a great time to bench Crisp and play Pena DAILY. If he doesn't produce in the 90 games or whatever remaining, then we know he's not going to work, but give him a shot! FREE WILY MO! He could be our Jesse Barfield (his closest comp and eerily so). He got his first full season of play at 25 after three years of partial play, and it 27 HRs and a .905 OPS. He hit 40 the next year, but then tailed off. The Sox need that power boost now.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Re: The Sox Need To Play Wily Mo

I am not jumping on Lugo so much for a few reasons

A. I think he has gotten somewhat unlucky. A .150 road BABIP just screams "fluke" to me. I think he's pressing, maybe nervous, but I think he will get better in spite of what my eyes tell me

B. The Sox have no clear replacement. If they made a deal with a team acquire another SS/2B, then I could see it. But Cora, as much as I like him, is a great backup MI, not a starter

And Coco has been worse for longer than Lugo.

If I had my way, this is what happens (and I have no inside info so I am not the best judge)

A. Send Coco Crisp down to AAA, or AA, or A+, or A, or Rookie, whatever. Anywhere where he can retool his skills and get serious one-on-one coaching time and experience without hurting the big league club.

B. Get a SERIOUS look at Coco's hand. He was hit on the wrist early last year and came back a diminished player

C. Play Pena for a serious amount of time, at least a few months, see if he isn't completely demoralized by sitting on the bench so often. If he isn't, then you keep playing him, maybe switching some days by putting him at DH and Ortiz at 1st, giving Youks/Lowell/Manny a day off, but they keep playing him. If he is, and he is just horrid, you cut your losses and either re-call Coco and let him hit .200, or make a daring call up early for Jacoby Ellsbury.

My Remainder of the 2007 Lineup
    1. J.D. Drew (RF)
    2. Dustin Pedroia (2B)
    3. David Ortiz (DH)
    4. Manny Ramirez (LF)
    5. Kevin Youkilis (1B)
    6. Mike Lowell (3B)
    7. Wily Mo Pena (CF)
    8. Jason Varitek (C)
    9. Julio Lugo (SS)

On Wakefield Days, it's different

1. J.D. Drew (RF)
    2. Kevin Youkilis (1B)
    3. David Ortiz (DH)
    4. Manny Ramirez (LF)
    5. Mike Lowell (3B)
    6. Wily Mo Pena (CF)
    7. Julio Lugo (SS)
    8. Dustin Pedroia (SS)
    9. Doug Mirabelli (C)

7 is an odd slot for Lugo, I know, but I want an actual hitter separating Lugo and Belli.

Drew in the leadoff spot should work: he walks, his contact should go up to career levels soon, he's not hitting for power now, it makes sense.

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

While I am also of the belief that Wily Mo needs to play MORE. I can't see any reason as far as his current form to warrent him being played on a daily basis.

Coco has been very difficult to deal with at times but his defense in center is something that Wily Mo cannot give the Red Sox and the fact that in 226 at-bats this season Coco has managed to strike out 30 times. Wily Mo, in 87 has managed to strike out 33 times.

Coco is showing himself to NOT be the full solution in CF, but Wily Mo is a HR or nothing kind of hitter and one that gives up FAR too many outs to have MY personal confidence in playing every day (at least right now).

Dude, what are you talking about? Coco Crisp is a possible Gold Glove CF this year and for years to come. He grabs balls that almost any CF lets go for doubles on an almost regular basis. Wily Mo Pena is slower than my grandfather and is atrocious in the outfield. He's not that good of a hitter that it would be worth it for the Sox to do this. And Coco hit 2 homers last night, pretty good lol (not saying that to back up his offense, just to put it in your face hah)

Product of the Boombap
    Rookie ERA

I personally like Coco and want him to do well, but it seems like he just hasn't hit his stride just yet. I agree though, his defense has been great this year.

Of course, after I say this, Magadan finds something in Coco's stance, changes it, and he's hitting like everyone expected

Coco's New Stance - Sons of Sam Horn

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Yeah, I guess this idea didn't work out so well.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

That's fine, play him at SS instead.