Thread: Red Sox select Nick Hagadone at #55

Red Sox select Nick Hagadone at #55

The Sox had to wait for a while, but their first pick is college SP/RP Nick Hagadone. Typically a starter, he filled in for Washington's need at closer this year. He's a big lefty with three good pitches who pitched behind Lincecum when they both were there. He's 6'5" and 230 as of his player bio, which is certainly nice.

His 2006 was pretty mediocre statwise, with a mid-4's ERA and a middling K rate. But his 2007 really seems good, as he's hitting 95 on the gun.

When asked about playing with the weight of the game hanging over his head, Hagadone keeps it simple.

"I love it," he said.

He explains why he loves the pressure, but he doesn't really need to say any more, because the way his eyes and his smile light up the night says it all. He's like a Rottweiler with a T-bone, and every time he gets to rip another All-American batter to shreds or secures a win for his team, it brings him joy.

"For me, he's our closer," coach Ken Knutson said. "He's the silver bullet. If I can get to him, we're going to win."

Considering his improvement in college and willingness to work out of the closer's role, I'm excited for this pick.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Re: Red Sox select Nick Hagadone at #55

Here are some of his stats this year. Very good improvement.

Over 25 appearances, he went 6-1 with a 2.77 earned run average and 11 saves. In 68 and one-third innings, he allowed 62 hits and only 17 walks while striking out 72.

I love the K/9 and lack of walks.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.