Thread: The Clay Buchholz Watch

The Clay Buchholz Watch

Well, after the Josh Beckett trade and the graduations of Papelbon and Lester, the Sox system was pretty torn up. After that, they had a good CF prospect (Ellsbury) and a potentially solid 2B (Pedroia).

However, in the last couple drafts, the Sox seem to have rejuvenated their system, and the most interesting prospect has to be Clay Buchholz. I believe he was drafted in the first round or supplemental first round in 2005 (after supplemental picks came in for departing Red Sox). He was slow to start, but his stuff (mid-90's fastball, best curve in the organization, a good changeup) and his stats have rocketed him up the charts. Some prospect analysts believe he has become a Top 5 SP prospect, one list even has him in front of Homer Bailey (I don't think he's that far yet, Homer's a level higher and producing similarly, except Clay's control has been a lot better) in the #9 overall spot.

He has been out of this world this year in Portland.

45.2 IP
    61 Strikeouts

That's over 12 strikeouts per 9 innings, which is absurd. Even more impressive is his control though

7 walks

That is a K:BB ratio of 8.71 Ks to 1 BB.

I'm getting really excited about this kid. Him and the also very well producing Michael Bowden, who is still getting a lot of hype in the organization.

One more to look out for is Lars Anderson, who is putting up some pretty pretty numbers in Greenville, but he's still far away.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Re: The Clay Buchholz Watch

BTW, Rob Bradford of the Boston Herald wrote a good biographical piece on him

Once considered suspect, he's now something special - Boston Red Sox - BostonHerald.com
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.