Thread: Pre-ST Red Sox predictions

Pre-ST Red Sox predictions

Let's see, I'll post my projected 25 man roster, opening day lineup (or normal one) and 10 predictions ranging for the season, and see how it looks at the end of each period. If I remember to.

25 Man Roster Prediction

Catchers
    Jason Varitek
    Doug Mirabelli

Reasoning: Varitek's a given. He's the captain, and in spite of his poor performance last year due to injury, he has the spot as long as he's producing at a moderately decent level. Or even below average. Mirabelli's job security as a Red Sox may finally be at risk, but with Wakefield still pitching and after the Bard debacle last year (both performance and the trade), I don't think the Sox are willing to chance it. Don't be surprised if Kotteras is given a call-up later in the season, or if Varitek or Belli gets injured earlier, a guy like Cash (ST Invite) could get a shot for spot duty

Infielders
    1B David Ortiz
    1B Kevin Youkilis
    2B Dustin Pedroia
    2B Alex Cora
    SS Julio Lugo
    3B Mike Lowell

This is pretty self-explanatory, with Cora being the only question. Ortiz is a mortal lock, as is Lugo and Lowell. Lugo's a new sparkling FA, he's obviously in, and Pedroia's getting a shot at starting even with a poor end to 2006. The main backup IF is a question. But with Youkilis ability to play both corners if needed and Lugo's experience over the field, they would keep a MI. Additionally, Theo seems to have a huge hard-on for Cora.

Outfielders
    LF Manny Ramirez
    CF Coco Crisp
    CF J.D. Drew
    RF Wily Mo Pena
    RF Eric Hinske

You have to expect that someone will take over for Hinske, with a desire to call up David Murphy in the works. Additionally, this OF should miss about 200 games over the season, so the minor league depth will get a workout. Along with Murphy, expect a guy like Alex Ochoa or even Jacoby Ellsbury at year's end

Starting Ptichers
    Curt Schilling
    Tim Wakefield
    Josh Beckett
    Jonny Boy Papelbon
    Daisuke Matsuzaka

All givens at this point. A bunch of questions, could range from a great rotation to a disaster and a half

Relief Pitchers

Joel Piniero
    Mike Timlin
    Brendan Donnelly
    J.C. Romero
    Julian Tavarez
    Hideki Okajima
    Craig Hansen

This is where it gets incredibly messy. It seems that Theo has learned one thing along about the bullpen: they go down and they suck, a lot. The more guys he gets, the better chance he has to find a diamon in shit. Honestly, a lot of questions. Timlin was horrid at the end of last year, Piniero has to play for 4 mil, Donnelly has a track record, as does Romero. Jooligan showed some chops, granted, at SP. Okajima was a great signing, and Hansen plays since he has a pro contract. When three of those guys go down, then the Hansacks and Delcarmens come out.

Opening Day Lineup

1. Julio Lugo (SS)
    2. Coco Crisp (CF)
    3. David Ortiz (DH)
    4. Manny Ramirez (LF)
    5. J.D. Drew (RF)
    6. Jason Varitek (C)
    7. Kevin Youkilis (1B)
    8. Mike Lowell (3B)
    9. Dustin Pedroia (2B)

Starting Pitcher:
    Curt Schilling

Game Prediction:
    Boston Red Sox @ Kansas City Royals

Starting Pitchers:
    Curt Schilling (0-0, 0.00 ERA) v. Gil Meche (0-0, 0.00 ERA)

Final Score:
    Boston (5-4)
    WP: Schilling (1-0)
    LP: Peralta (0-1)
    S: Piniero (1)

Star of the Game:
    Coco Crisp: (2-4, 2 2B, 3 RBI)

Season Long Predictions

1. Boston will finish, once again, second in the American League East. They are good enough to win, they are potentially bad enough to finish a distant third. I think they'll finish second.

2. They will be in a very close Wild Card race with the White Sox and A's. I think they'll win out.

3. Josh Beckett will start off hot, get cold, and continue to be streaky for the rest of the year. Not Derek Lowe streaky, but still, a comparison will be made.

4. Daisuke will have an exceptional year for a technical rookie, but will not win the RotY. He'll come in third, should have been second.

5. Jon Lester will be back pitching in a full-time SP role by the All-Star break

6. The Red Sox will have 6 people elected or placed in the All-Star game (let's say five and one). One undeserving person will make it, while one possibly deserving person won't from the Red Sox.

7. This will be the year J.D. Drew tops 600 plate appearances.

8. Wily Mo Pena will not see more than 300 plate appearances and his potential will remained untapped as Francona allows Coco Crisp to keep eating at bats.

9. The bullpen will be a complete trainwreck, with two consistant relievers, until early August. Around then, one of the remaining RPs will find a rhythm (Hansen) and a new call-up (either for a release or injury) will show very good stuff (Hansack).

10. 17 of the 25 people on the opening day roster (official) will be on the August 31st roster. 5 will be injured, 1 will be released, 1 will be demoted, and 1 will be traded
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    "Youkilis for Cliff Floyd? It's ridiculous. Of course they'll do it. ****ing Larry Lucchino doesn't know who the **** Youkilis is. How are they going to explain to people that they didn't get Cliff Floyd because they wouldn't give up Youkilis?"

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Bit off on the game prediction there.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Shaddup you!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Mwahahahaha.
    I love this thread idea though, and the other predictions.

realmofo: Is that quote from Moneyball? Haven't read that one in a while but IIRC it's when Beane is trying to talk Minaya into a trade.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.