Thread: Red Sox acquire Donnelly from Angels

AA ERA

Red Sox acquire Donnelly from Angels

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Los Angeles Angels traded former All-Star reliever Brendan Donnelly to the Boston Red Sox on Friday for rookie left-hander Phil Seibel.

The 35-year-old Donnelly became expendable when the Angels and reliever Justin Speier agreed to an $18 million, four-year contract.

Donnelly was 6-0 with a 3.94 ERA in 62 games last season. He had a 5-0 record and a 3.52 ERA in 29 games after the All-Star break, and held the opposition scoreless in 19 of his last 21 appearances.

Donnelly was 23-8 with a 2.87 ERA and four saves in 276 appearances with the Angels. He signed with them in as a minor league free agent in January 2001, and made his big league debut in 2002 after 10 minor league seasons with nine different organizations.

His best year was in 2003, when he allowed only two earned runs in his first 50 innings. Donnelly's 0.38 ERA was the lowest by a regular big league reliever at the All-Star break, and he was the winning pitcher in the AL's 7-6 victory over the NL in the All-Star game. He finished the season with a 1.58 ERA and a career-high three saves.

Donnelly set career highs with nine wins and 65 appearances in 2005. He was limited to 40 games in 2004 after missing the Angels' first 64 games due to a broken nose.

The 27-year-old Seibel spent the last three seasons in the Boston organization after being claimed on waivers from the New York Mets in November 2003. He pitched 3 2-3 scoreless innings in two games with the Red Sox in 2004.

Seibel went 6-3 with a 1.24 ERA for three Boston farm clubs last season. He didn't pitch in 2005 after undergoing reconstructive surgery on his pitching elbow following the 2004 season.

Before turning professional, Seibel pitched three seasons for the University of Texas.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2698646

Donnelly is a nice pick up for the Red Sox and certainly should be an upgrade in our bullpen.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Very nice pickup for the Sox, and they signed J.C. Romero to a one-year deal as well
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Nice pickup, but this isnt their plan for a closer is it? I dont think he is the answer to your closer situation. Just my opinion. I heard they were looking at Chan Ho Park to be their closer. He did it for the Team Japan in the WBC, so he has experience.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Wow, I just read the post from Fischercat, I didnt see that they had picked up J.C. either, NICE!!! Looks like Boston wants to be a major player again this year. Question for you SOx fans--- IS Trot Nixon still there? I hope so, I always liked him. He plays hard and leaves it out on the field. I am asking cause I thought I heard he was gone or going to be gone or something, please fill me in on his where abouts?

AA ERA
    Trot Nixon is a FA and wasn't offered arbitration.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Scott Boras was looking hard at Park for being closer on the Sox during the flight with Theo and co., not really Theo

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Speier got that much money? Jesus
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    Thanks for the info. on Nixon. I am surprised no one is looking at him. Icould see him in Oakland with the type of player he is and the makeup of that team. San Diego too! Is Boston talking to him at all? Or is there any rumor of his next destination?

I would think he would want to start and Boston has four starting caliber OF right now (none of which are that durable though). Supposedly Pittsburgh had interest

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I could see him in a Pirate uniform next season! I like that destination for him also.

AAA ERA
    The one guy in that pen the yanks haven't had problems w/ is Donnelly and donnelly has steadily been getting worse each year since he had a great 2003. I hope for Sox fans this isn't the marquee pen move but as a Yankee fan I hope it is.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    i agree, donnelly has lost some of his mojo. maybe he is healthy and showed the Sox he is able to return to top form.