Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BoSox's talks with Matsuzaka nearly dead

AA ERA

BoSox's talks with Matsuzaka nearly dead

Negotiations between the team and the Japanese star pitcher have nearly broken down, the Boston Herald reported Sunday. A source familiar with the situation told the Herald late Saturday that unless "there is an abrupt change of course," the Red Sox will not strike a deal with Matsuzaka before the deadline midnight Thursday.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2692964

Im hoping we can reach an agreement with Matsuzaka, I believe the Red Sox are clearly sending a signal to Boras that they will not give $15 million per season. I also believe the Red Sox are trying to let the pressure mount on Matsuzaka and force him to sign what they are believed to offered which is between $8-$9 million over 4 to 6 years.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    The Red Sox are dumb if they give up 51 mill to talk to the guy but won't give him 15 per season.You can't be willing to throw out that much money but then be stingy right after.

Boras isn't going to cave to their demands and this is going to be a big blunder of a situation in the end.

If they don't sign him, they get 51 mil back.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    They aren't banking on Boras caving in, they are hoping Matsuzaka will because it is believed several of the Japanese including the Seibu Lions would see it as a sign of disrespect if he returns to Japan knowing that the Red Sox have made formal offers.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Exactly.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    Yes, but it's still a waste to be willing to throw that much money at negotiation rights and then not be willing to throw enough at him to make him sign.

And frankly, Matsuzaka isn't the one who's in the position to cave. Boras has probably told him "I'm going to get you 60 million now or 60 million in another year, so if we don't sign here, it's okay." I don't see Boras lowering his demands for what Matsuzaka gets, and I'm sure he can stress pretty well how much more money Daisuke can make if he'll wait a year.

AA ERA
    But, you are missing the point... In Boras' mind it is all about the money, but when it comes to Matsuzaka he has to weigh more options and whats most important considering his image in Japan. The Seibu Lions would consider it a sign of disrespect as well as many Japanese fans, if he didn't sign a contract. They consider it being "greedy" and is frowned upon greatly.

MLB ERA
    Well, Matsuzaka would be a free agent in two years instead of one. Even then, the Red Sox offer would still be well below market value. The two years of Japanese work plus market value as a free agent would be worth much more over 4-6 years than what the Red Sox are offering.

And the damage would be much greater on the side of MLB, who would show they can't maintain the posting system.

MLB ERA
    I also doubt that Japanese fans will stop loving Matsuzaka because he wasn't willing to get shafted in the States. It's an old Asian stereotype that doesn't seem to matter when money is involved.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by BoSox34
    But, you are missing the point... In Boras' mind it is all about the money, but when it comes to Matsuzaka he has to weigh more options and whats most important considering his image in Japan. The Seibu Lions would consider it a sign of disrespect as well as many Japanese fans, if he didn't sign a contract. They consider it being "greedy" and is frowned upon greatly.
    But Matsuzaka is not the one with the control in the Boras-Matsuzaka relationship.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

So, of Boston does NOT get him what is the next step in the process? Or does that mean he automatically goes to the Yankees? hahaha.

MLB ERA
    Option 1, more likely: he goes back to Japan until he's either posted again or becomes a free agent.

Opton 2: Selig could rule that the Sox only bid on Matsuzaka to prevent some other team from getting him, and rules that they did not do all they could to sign him, and thus give his rights to the second team.

I thought it meant that he became a FA?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    He's got 1 or 2 years left on his contract with the Lions - he was posted, though, meaning they'll let another team buy his contract and the rights to him and blah blah.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They're not separated by much at this point and considering the market, even with his 51 million dollar initial fee, it would be reasonable with his age and stuff for a big market team.

COSTA MESA, Calif. — Pessimism from both sides of these Daisuke Matsuzaka talks rules the day, or early morning, but talks are not dead and the deadline is still not until Thursday (in case you hadn’t heard).

No one wants to go on the record as of yet but here’s the latest info, according to plugged-in sources: The Red Sox’ latest offer to Matsuzaka is six years for $8 million. Matsuzaka has counter-offered with six years for $11 million and that is the deal the Red Sox are weighing heading into the early hours of Wednesday morning.
    The Red Sox are saying that if Matsuzaka is not on John Henry’s plane that heads back to Boston this morning, there is no chance of the deal getting done because he will not have time to have a physical. Matsuzaka’s camp is not concerned with the Red Sox’ timeline on private jets and physicals.

Basically, both sides are becoming more adamant about how they are willing to walk away from this deal, and this is after the Red Sox got their face to face meeting, however brief, with Matsuzaka Tuesday night. The Red Sox are shaking their heads, wondering how Matsuzaka and his agent Scott Boras can overlook the $51.11 million that they will send to the Seibu Lions if Matsuzka signs, meaning a total commitment of more than $99 million. Meanwhile Matsuzaka and Boras are wondering if the Red Sox think Daisuke Matsuzaka is Japanese for “Gil Meche'’ or “Randy Wolf.'’

How does $9.5 million a year for six years sound? Anyone? Anyone?
    Link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast