Thread: Manny talks heating up

Manny talks heating up

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2677627

The Red Sox are aggressively shopping outfielder Manny Ramirez now, according to major league sources, at a time when the slugger's trade value has peaked, and there is a sense among some executives that their trade talks are gaining momentum.

"I wouldn't be shocked if the Red Sox traded him by Saturday," says one big league official.

Among the teams involved in the conversations:

• The San Francisco Giants, who might have to involve a third team to become a serious player in this market, or perhaps swallow some of Boston's worst contracts, like that of pitcher Matt Clement.

• The San Diego Padres, who can build a deal around reliever Scott Linebrink.

• The Dodgers, who are starved for power hitters, loaded with prospects and could probably offer the best possible package of youngsters, from third baseman Andy LaRoche to pitcher Chad Billingsley to outfielder Matt Kemp. Before the August 31 trade deadline, the Red Sox tried to pry first baseman James Loney from L.A. in return for pitcher David Wells, but the Dodgers refused. The Red Sox may resume their pursuit of Loney and perhaps relief pitcher Jonathan Broxton.

• The Rangers have had talks about Ramirez, but as recently as last week, the Red Sox still preferred to talk about a swap of shortstop Michael Young for Ramirez -- a deal that almost certainly won't happen.

The Orioles have spoken with the Red Sox about Ramirez recently, but their conversations hadn't advanced in recent days. The Indians and Red Sox talked last week, but those conversations are dead; the cost in salary and prospects were simply too high for the Indians. The Angels and Red Sox had talked in the past about a Manny deal, but those conversations have apparently ended.

Color me skeptical. These rumors seem to come up annually, involving the Sox and another big to mid market team who wants Manny's bat and is willing to give 60 cents on the dollar to pay some part of Manny's salary. I don't see it happening, and I expect Manny in ST. But we'll see.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Manny's bat is awesome, but his headaches are NOT. IMO, let him rot in Boston. These athletes think they can keep on throwing their weight around with attitude and threats, they are under contract for huge $$$$, they should be fined of there are NOT certain expectations and goals met. I am tired of these overpaid whinners wanting out if there is a chance to make more $$$ elsewhere. GRASS IS NOT ALWAYS GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE. I know you Yankee fans want A-Rod out, but you have to admire him for at least saying to the media he wants to stay in NY. IMO, that is cause for respect and admiration right there folks. He goes out nightly and tries his hardest, and he is only human, he is going to make his mistakes! Manny, all he wants to do is be like Moss, T.O., Clemens, Whoever and make his own demands with no concern of being there in battle with their teammates when the things or situations get difficult or out of hand. Anything for the media attention!!!! And for the media giving them exactly what they want, the limelight.

MLB ERA
    I didn't read any of that.

Anyway, in the current market, Manny's contract isn't all that bad. The Red Sox almost certainly won't get fair value for him. The Giants don't have prospects and I don't see them deciding to take ugly contracts now.

How do you build a deal around Scott Linebrink?

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Before the August 31 trade deadline, the Red Sox tried to pry first baseman James Loney from L.A. in return for pitcher David Wells, but the Dodgers refused.
    Only the Padres were dumb enough to give up anything for David Wells.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Manny Ramirez for a reliever would generate a few headlines.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

like who?

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by realmofotalk
    Only the Padres were dumb enough to give up anything for David Wells.
    Dumb enough? Like the Red Sox were dumb, and desperate, enough to give up Josh Bard and Cla Meredith for Doug Mirabelli?
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

v. Sacramento State W 24-3 (1-0)

@ (25) Texas A&M L 47-45 3 OT's (1-1)

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

v. Louisiana Tech W 17-6 (2-2, 1-0)

@ Nevada W 49-41 (3-2, 2-0)

@ Idaho W 37-24 (4-2, 3-0)

v. San Jose State W 30-0 (5-2, 4-0)

v. Boise State L 34-21 (5-3, 4-1)

v. Utah State W 38-27 (6-3, 5-1)

@ Hawaii L 37-30 (6-4, 5-2)

v. Kansas State W 45-29 (7-4, 5-2)

@ New Mexico State

Meredith seemed dead after his MLB appearence and his struggles in AAA and Bard didn't do the one thing well the Sox asked: catch the knuckler. It was a horrible trade, but the Sox had their reasons.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Let's see Meredith string together multiple great seasons before hailing him the next Goose Gossage. Sure it wasn't a great deal for the sox but some people are hyping Meredith up way too much.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito
    Let's see Meredith string together multiple great seasons before hailing him the next Goose Gossage. Sure it wasn't a great deal for the sox but some people are hyping Meredith up way too much.
    I didn't say Meredith was the next coming of Goose Gossage, but he certainly impressed and proved a lot of people wrong after coming to San Diego. As far as Bard goes, yeah he couldn't catch the knuckler, but that's all Mirabelli could do. Didn't he finish with a batting average under .200?
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Mirabelli sucked a huge dong, and on the record, I didn't think Bard was THAT bad and I thought he would have learned to catch Wakefield. Theo admitted he was too impatient and traded real talent.

Still, the trade had some logic.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FmrFresnan
    Dumb enough? Like the Red Sox were dumb, and desperate, enough to give up Josh Bard and Cla Meredith for Doug Mirabelli?
    Probably, but I wasn't talking about the Mirabelli deal.

Rookie ERA
    Manny getting traded? Yeah, that comes along every offseason, and it never ends up happening. I'm not saying Manny WON'T be traded, but I can't see many teams taking on his contract without unloading some serious dollars as well. I'd hate to see him leave, but we could live without him and still be an AL East contender.
    Working on a BoSox sig, give me time.

OC Padre Fan
    Rookie ERA

Padres

Being Red Sox fans, do you guys think J.D. Drew gives the kind of protection to Big Papi that Manny does?
    FRESNO STATE SCHEDULE

@ Oregon L 54-21 (1-2)

@ New Mexico State

Absolutely not. Manny is an A level hitter (if Pujols is an A+) who has everything you want: contact, patience, power, gap ability, etc. His defense blows but in terms of lineup protection, he's one of the three most valuable hitters in baseball.

I see J.D. Drew as a B level hitter. If we're lucky, a .900 OPS (ideally a 300-400-500 line) but Ortiz will still draw a crapload of walks and see very little to hit. Some of his value is in speed and defense.