Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox post high bid on Matsuzaka?

Red Sox post high bid on Matsuzaka?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2656687

Now, this could either be really good (blocking any other team from getting Mats, then lowballing him on a sensible long-term deal) or really bad (signing him to a huge deal as he blows out his arm).

Yikes.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Red Sox can afford him and really need him. Better get the deal done or else he goes back to Japan.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per MLB Trade rumors:

rotoworld has an Orestes Destrade report for ESPN that claims the Red Sox won the Daisuke Matsuzaka bid for about $42MM. I think we can be pretty confident that the Lions will accept it.
    The next step, of course, is getting him signed.
    Awesome job BoSox!

MLB ERA
    Nice, this kind of reminds me of what the Yankees did to the Bo-sox few years back by blocking a trade so the sox couldn't get Bartolo Colon.

Yup!Thats a pic of Rickey websoulsurfer's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    $51 million is a lot just for the right to try to sign him. WOW!

Alot of us around SD are thinking they are just blocking the Yankees from getting him and wont be offering up the 12-15 million over 3 years that Boras is supposedly asking for him.

If I was the Red sox GM I wouldnt sign him unless he accepted at least a 5 year contract so that you could spread the $51.1 million over a longer period.

No matter what he signs for, he will be a $20+ million per year guy.

Its GOTTA be just Yankee blocking.

AAA ERA
    If they are just blocking the Yankees it's silly b/c he'll be a FA next year then the yanks would get him. I think they bid to sign him.

The Yanks bid around 32 million from what I heard, and with that large a bid and that foot in the Far East market, I can't see how they won't sign him. But I've been disappointed before.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    They will sign him, supposedly the marketing effect that the BoSox and NESN will generate will severely lessen the effect of this bid for the right to negotiate with him. Just think about the kind of ties this will create between the Red Sox and Japan (fans and players alike.) This is a really good move for the Red Sox and one that will yet asgain, put them in further competition with the Yankees... this time, just across the sea.

MLB ERA
    Too bad they spent 51.1 million to build a bridge to Japan. Couldn't they just sign Masato Yoshii, Hideki Irabu, and Shigetoshi Hasegawa and done the same thing?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    So let me get this straight because I am sort of confused. The bid of $51 million does not go to Matsuzaka but to the Lions. Now they have to fork over more money just to sign him?

MLB ERA
    Yep, and Matsuzaka's going to end up getting probably a 5/60 deal or something. Fun fun fun.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Too bad they spent 51.1 million to build a bridge to Japan. Couldn't they just sign Masato Yoshii, Hideki Irabu, and Shigetoshi Hasegawa and done the same thing?
    .... bbbbut.. but the Yankees!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Yep, and Matsuzaka's going to end up getting probably a 5/60 deal or something. Fun fun fun.
    I am sorry but unless this guy can throw 130 mph with a 92 mph changeup, no player is worth this much.

That change-up better be 29 MPH.

I really do like Matsuzaka as a player...but I wish it was an NL team to take the risk. It'll be a fun risk, but foreign import pitchers scare the crap out of me.

51.1 mil still stuns me. I'm hoping for something like 6/70 or something to slightly lower the AAV to...20 mil per year. '_'

MLB ERA
    You guys need to understand...the Yankees can no longer sign him, his rights belong to the Red Sox. And the 51.1 Mil is a refundable deposit, if the Red Sox don't sign him within 30 days, he goes back to Seibu.

Nice job Boston. I do not think he's worth anywhere near 111.1 million for 5 years, but if the shoe fits...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast