Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red Sox post high bid on Matsuzaka?

That's the only real saving grace on this. The Yankees can't get him either way until 2008 if he isn't picked up. It's hard to believe he won't be now though
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    I sort of wanted him, but I like the way this sets up a collossal debacle for the Red Sox.

Sign him: Most overpaid player in baseball, any injury is detrimental.
    Don't Sign him: Enormous killjoy for the fanbase, could negotiate as a free agent in '08, possibility of him becoming a Yankee and killing the Red Sox.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Pretty much. I think this would be the same way for any team who won in the Mets-Yankees range at 30 mil, but at 50 mil, it's a Damned if You Do/Don't situation. The best possibility for the Sox is to sign him now and have him light up the league next year, and then settle in as a Top 10 guy. Now, that's a lot of luck

MLB ERA
    Sources told the Boston Herald that the Red Sox’ initial offer to Daisuke Matsuzaka was for about half of what agent Scott Boras proposed.
    The Herald thinks that means the Red Sox offered $7 million-$8 million annually and the Boras requested $15 million. The two sides have until Dec. 15 to reach a compromise. It may actually turn out to be easier to work out the annual salary than the length of the contract.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    This is because the owner of Seibu needs the $$$. So, here's what I heard on ESPN Radio; The Red Sox offer small deals, with the large payout, because since Seibu's owner, formerly one of the richest men in the world, needs the money, he'll make Matsusaka take it. How? Well, Matsusaka needs a full season to be a UFA. THe owner would drop him into the minors for part of the year, every year, and he could never reach the UFA market. So, knowing this, Matsusaka is compelled to accept a lower offer. The only reason Boston will offer more than 3.5-5 mil is so when negotiating with Boras he still considers them, instead of blowing off their offers.

MLB ERA
    I can't see Saibu destroying the Japanese Leagues relationship with MLB by keeping Matsuzaka from ever becoming a free agent. I can't see Matsuzaka accepting that either.

MLB ERA
    Its not up to Matsusaka, and this guy needs the money. He is cutthroat, and he would do this to fulfill his lifestyle, and break off relations with the MLB. It just illustrates how Boras has no leg to stand.

MLB ERA
    The Red Sox have sent team president Larry Lucchino to Japan to help try and close a deal with Daisuke Matsuzaka.
    There was no indication that Matsuzaka's agent, Scott Boras, was also in Japan, so Lucchino might be talking more to the Seibu Lions than to Matsuzaka. It could be that the Red Sox will ask Seibu to kick in a portion of the $51.11 million posting fee in order to get a deal done. After all, the team probably wasn't expecting more than $30 million before the process started. If the Lions were willing to pay Matsuzaka $2 million-$3 million per year or some sort of lump sum to accept the deal, it'd make things quite a bit easier on the Red Sox. The Lions have incentive, as they'd get nothing if Matsuzaka and the Red Sox failed to come to an agreement.
    Source: Boston Herald
    Looks like the Sox want to get this guy.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Do you think Scott Boras wouldn't have Matsuzaka just fly to LAX if Seibu refused to ever grant him free agency? C'mon, Boras is the best in the business. He'll get his contract.

MLB ERA
    The Boston Globe says agent Scott Boras is looking to get Daisuke Matsuzaka a six-year deal worth $12 million per season.
    This is the complete opposite of everything that was heard even before the bidding was complete. Boras was supposed to try for a three- or maybe even a two-year deal with a clause that would make Matsuzaka a free agent at the end of the contract. If the price is really $72 million for six years, the Red Sox might as well jump on it. Sure, Matsuzaka is at risk for arm problems, but we figure he's just as good of a bet for his age 29-31 seasons as he is from 26-28.
    Latest and greatest.

If 6/72 is true, I think the Sox have to jump on it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12