Thread: Super Papelbon will be an SP next year

Super Papelbon will be an SP next year

Interesting move by the leadership, really jumping on the importance of the SP wagon with this one. The man with the 500 ERA+ will now be pitching 6+ innings every five days, hopefully.

Red Sox GM Theo Epstein confirmed Sunday that Jonathan Papelbon would enter spring training as a starting pitcher.
    Epstein said that it's the opinion of the medical staff that the switch would be the best thing for Papelbon's long-term health. A rotation including Curt Schilling, Josh Beckett, Papelbon and Tim Wakefield looks good on paper, but the Red Sox will have to add quality relievers and there are few out there in free agency. The club could look to take a chance on Eric Gagne or Kerry Wood, but it could use a couple of sure things, too.

Ugliest bullpen ever anyone?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

No. See 2006 Braves: March-July.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Take comfort in knowing nothing will ever be as bad as KC's closing wagon.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Papelbon 2007:
    183 IP, 14 W, 8 L, 166 K, 2.94 ERA, 1.22 WHIP

MLB ERA
    Can he make it through the season as a starter? He couldn't when being a reliever.

Well, he did almost pitch 150 IP in 3 levels in 2005, so he has the capability.

Papelbon came up as a starter, but from all that I read, he won't be anything better than a fourth or fifth starter. He's a lot like Eric Gagne and BJ Ryan, he can make it through the lineup once without a problem, but he is figured out the second and third time through. Much better suited to be a closer, where he can throw 110% out there, and only face guys once.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Based on the scouting reports I read on Papelbon (especially prior to this season), I have to agree with Thomas in some regards. I think he projects to be much better than a 5th starter, but at best a very good 6 inning max starter. His pitching arsenal is much better suited for the rotation and over his minor league starting career, he has put up dominant numbers. He also still has a relatively fresh arm since he rose through the Red Sox system so fast, but I just don't understand why you would mess with that kind of success. I usually feel the closer position to be very overrated, a guy like Papelbon finds my exception to the rule as he seemed to just thrive there (performance wise and mentally.) 3.95 ERA, 175 IP, 151 K's, that's what I am calling for.

I don't particularly get it either unless it's for health reasons. I mean, I understand the logic, but why mess with the one good RP we had? Julian was a good SP to end the year, Lowe esque in 2001.

I definitely want Julian in the rotation next year, he was quite good as a #5 starter IMO. As far as Papelbon, we need starting pitching, but there aren't any really good closers available this off season to my knowledge. I guess for me a lot would depend on if Jon Lester can comeback at some point next season or who they can pick up.

Well, from what I've been reading, moving Papelbon to the rotation is a health-related decision. I guess they feel his shoulder would be better off with a start, then 4 days of rest, a start, four of rest, rather than inconsistant time.