Thread: Wells scratched from start amid trade speculation

AA ERA

Wells scratched from start amid trade speculation

BOSTON -- David Wells was scratched from his scheduled start Thursday night amid indications that the Boston Red Sox were close to trading the left-hander to a contender.

Wells' locker was nearly empty and four cartons were stacked in front of it before the game against the Toronto Blue Jays. Reliever Julian Tavarez was picked to start in his place.

According to ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney, Wells has been told he's been traded and to wait by the phone. No team was specified, but the primary candidates remain the San Diego Padres and Los Angeles Dodgers.

The 43-year-old Wells has a history of postseason success and has been one of Boston's best starters while the team has fallen far behind in the playoff race with an 8-21 record in August, the worst in the majors for the month. The Red Sox began the day eight games behind in the AL East and 7½ behind in the wild-card standings.

After battling knee problems most of the season, Wells has lowered his ERA to 4.98.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2567879
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'll bet its the Padres, who seem to enjoy acquiring as many Red Sox bums as possible.