Thread: Damon may decide to hang 'em up

MLB ERA

Damon may decide to hang 'em up

DETROIT - If you're looking for Johnny Damon [stats, news] next summer, you might have better luck at Disney World or on a lake near his Orlando home rather than on a baseball field.
    That is because if Damon is not presented with a tantalizing enough contract from the Red Sox [stats, schedule] or one of five other teams he would consider playing for, he is more than content to call it quits for at least a year and maybe longer.
    At the ripe old age of 32 next year, Damon will not settle for any old contract.
    ``I am so good and happy with my life, what's going to be wrong if I get to see my kids every day, get to be in warm weather, get to have the summer?'' said Damon yesterday before the Sox' 8-3 loss to the Tigers, expanding on comments he made a day earlier on the Red Sox' Web site. ``I've got five more years of good performances but I also think I've done all right with money - I think I'm good - but having the chance to be around my kids and participate in that stuff, that wouldn't be a bad thing.''
    Had Damon, who went 3-for-5 last night to raise his average to .368, not won a World Series ring with the Red Sox last season, he would not even harbor a thought such as hanging up his spikes as he enters his free agent year.
    His primary goal remains re-signing with the Red Sox but that bridge looks as if it is not going to be crossed before the offseason. If he and the team cannot agree on a deal, Damon will consider a National League squad, but he wants a five-year deal.
    ``The Red Sox are the No. 1 team obviously for me but I know there would be a handful of teams I would consider,'' Damon said. ``If the Red Sox don't want me, obviously I'm going to be looking at a few big areas. It would be tough to play for the Yankees but it's not a definite `no' but it would be tough because my heart belongs in Boston. I think all of our fans know I want to stay there.''
    Nixon ponders next move
    Just in case the Red Sox ever get involved in another brawl with the Devil Rays or whoever, keep an eye on Trot Nixon [stats, news].
    ``Next time, I'm just going to flap my arms like a bird and run around in circles in the outfield, I promise you that,'' said Nixon, sounding as if he were at least half-kidding.
    The right fielder still cannot make up his mind if he should just begin serving his two-game suspension tonight, the first of two games in a row which he won't start because the Tigers are starting lefties, or defend his aggressive actions from the April 24 beanball scuffle with the Devil Rays in an appeal scheduled for next Monday.
    What he knows is that he does not want to get tagged with a hot-head label, which is why he would take flight from future fights.
    ``The last thing I want to do is think, `Oh, Trot's on the team, let's just pinpoint him every time he goes out there,' '' said Nixon, who went 1-for-4 last night. ``I'm not some bad boy who's going to go out on the field. I didn't have the intent to go out to the mound and get the pitcher.''
    Bronson Arroyo [stats, news], who was served with a six-game suspension, said his agent had filed an appeal but the pitcher said he had no idea where the process stood.
    Wake tripped up
    For a moment, it looked as if the team might be dealing with another injury to its rotation.
    While the team was doing its slow jogging routine and stretching before batting practice, tomorrow night's starter, Tim Wakefield [stats, news], got tangled up with another player. Wakefield hobbled away, favoring his right ankle. The training staff immediately came over and consulted with Wakefield. Finally, he left the field before batting practice and went back to the clubhouse. No X-rays were taken and Wakefield was said to be fine. . . .
    John Halama [stats, news] will start tonight without much chance to get stretched out from his day job in the bullpen.
    ``It's going to be new,'' said Halama. ``I've never been stretched out this year. I hope I can go five innings so I don't get the bullpen beat up.'' . . .
    Wade Miller [stats, news] will make what should be his final rehab appearance tonight for Triple-A Pawtucket at McCoy Stadium before his first Red Sox start Sunday at Fenway.
    ``As far as being there, I don't think he's where he's going to be,'' Francona said. ``His ceiling is really high. He feels like he's ready to pitch at this level and win at this level.''
    Tough to say goodbye
    Francona said telling David McCarty [stats, news] on Sunday in Texas that he was being designated for assignment was far from a pleasant task.
    ``It was not a fun move to make - I don't think anyone was wanting to make it, especially me,'' said Francona, who added that the move ``didn't have anything to do with (Sunday's signing of John Olerud) - down the road, it may have.''
    McCarty had to go because the Red Sox needed to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Jeremi Gonzalez, last night's starter.
    McCarty could be picked up on waivers in the coming days or else the Red Sox will try to trade him. Francona said McCarty took the news ``as professional as you could be and very disappointed.
    ``He's about as professional as you get. Very good influence around here. For a guy who didn't play very much, he pulled it off in a really great way and I'm very proud of him.'' . . .
    Ramon Vazquez ran without any apparent difficulty during pregame sprints in the outfield. He has been bothered by a sore right quad and was available on an emergency basis only last night.
    ``Vazquez performed well enough that we're not going to put him on the disabled list,'' Francona said. ``There were some thoughts that we might have to do that.'' . . .
    Second baseman Mark Bellhorn [stats, news], who has been hit hard by the flu, was able to take some batting practice. The Red Sox are hopeful he can start tonight. . . .
    The Tigers hit three triples, the Red Sox one, matching a Comerica Park record. After David Ortiz [stats, news]' sixth-inning fly was caught in deep center, he said he was thinking, ``I was hoping this was Fenway Park.'' . . .
    With his third-inning triple, Damon extended his hitting streak to nine games. He is hitting .500 (12-for-24) with 13 RBI during the streak.http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...34&format=text
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

I REALLY hope Nixon does flap his arms, that'd be effing hilarious.

I like Damon, but I don't know if Theo even wants him to stay for the price he'd command. Extremely risky considering I think he'd ask for a lot.

Poor McCarty, he'd done his job and now he has to go if claimed...harsh.