Thread: Red Sox and Beckett agree to three-year extension

Red Sox and Beckett agree to three-year extension

Just saw the news conference on NESN and no financials were disclosed. I'll try to find a link
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    After today's game, manager Terry Francona said the Red Sox and Josh Beckett have agreed to terms on a three-year deal.
    It's surprising that Beckett, who would have been eligible for free agency after 2007, would take such a short-term deal. Had he remained healthy, he could have command a whopping five- or six-year deal as a free agent. Still, given that he has yet to throw 180 innings in a season, taking the money now might have been a good strategy for him. We wouldn't have recommended that Boston give him a four- or five-year extension, but depending on the the terms, three years might be fair.
    Beckett needs to prove he is worth it now!

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    yes...with his near 5.00 ERA

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    31 homeruns given up after the 3 tonight. And the ERA exactly at 5.00.

Hopefully, with a good contract in his pocket, Beckett will begin to perform to his potential which is a lot higher than we have seen so far.

MLB ERA
    He was horrible today...ERA is 5.35 now and he had 9 walks and 9 earned runs today in less than 6 innings

Maybe someday he'll learn that he can't throw the fastball by everybody, and start throwing his other pitches once in a while. He needs somebody to wake him up, and having Lopez behind the plate calling a terrible game isn't helping his efforts either. Boy that contract sure is looking foolish right now!!!!!!!!

MLB ERA
    do you guys know if the pitches are called by the Lopez (I think Varitek calls his own game) or if they're called from the dugout?

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    do you guys know if the pitches are called by the Lopez (I think Varitek calls his own game) or if they're called from the dugout?
    I don't know, I assumed Lopez was calling them. Whomever it is, they should be looking for a new job tommorrow. I had heard from Braves fans what an awful catcher Lopez was, but never really considered it, as I don't like the Braves and don't watch their games, and he didn't catch much with Baltimore and their pitching sucked anyways. Now that he is with the Sox, and I've seen him, when they called him "awful" it was an understatedment. In every game I've watched (4-8) that he has caught, the opposition has stolen at will, and a terrible game has been called. He doesn't bring the pitched back over the plate so that there is any chance of them being called a strike either.