Thread: Pitching Plans

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

Pitching Plans

So despite the success of Jonathan Papelbon in the closer's role, I have heard that he is still expected to be in the rotation in two years and Hansen (who I think is starting games at Pawtucket) will be the closer. What do you guys think? Personally, I like Pap as the closer and Hansen would make a solid starter or set-up guy.

My guess: As long as Papelbon keeps winning, they'll keep him there and stretch out Hansen. They are having him start games in the minor leagues. Considering that, if the season ended today, Papelbon would have the best season by a closer ever...well...why move him?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    My thoughts exactly. Now SI reports that the Red Sox plan on putting Pap in the rotation by 2008 regardless. I don't think that it's such a good idea.

If he continues like this...I'm not sure they should move him. My guess is that they will, but I also think he would become a Smoltz-like SP
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Yeah that would be pretty cool. As would Smoltz in Boston before the trading deadline

In my opinion, for the future, we should keep Papelbon at closer and use Hansen in a set-up role. We have enough SP prospects such as Lester, Pauley and Bard to keep both in the 'pen.

I'm guessing Papelbon stays in the closer role. Hansen ends up being a key piece of a trade for a starting pitcher at some point. Would be foolish to move the guy if this success continues.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Hansen is a Boras player...isn't he already getting paid in the millions? I wouldn't trade for him...