Thread: Piniella rips Schilling

Putting A-Rod to shame A's Baby Girl's Avatar
    AAA ERA

Piniella rips Schilling

A day after Boston pitcher Curt Schilling used the word ``idiot'' in criticizing Lou Piniella, the Tampa Bay manager held a team meeting and fired back.

The Red Sox and Devil Rays tangled Sunday, with two-bench clearing scuffles and six ejections. The teams have had trouble in the past, too.

``The problem is when you're playing a team with a manager who somehow forgot how the game is played, there's problems,'' Schilling said on a Boston radio station Tuesday. ``This should have been over a little bit ago. Lou's trying to make his team be a bunch of tough guys, and the telling sign is when the players on that team are saying, 'This is why we lose 100 games a year, because this idiot makes us do stuff like this.' They (Rays players) said that on the field.''

Piniella called a team meeting before Wednesday night's game at Toronto and issued a statement ripping Schilling.

``Forget how the game is played? I have forgotten more baseball than this guy knows,'' Piniella said.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Damn....somebody's pissed OFF....

If the players actually said that on the field, then Schilling has a great point.

Also, I will say this. Who the **** cares? I'm serious. Thousands of people call in to talk radio each day and spew idiotic rumors and dumb words, but Curt can't do it? Curt has to issue an apology for what he said on talk radio? TALK RADIO??? He's a baseball player who likes to speak his mind. It isn't like he called a press conference, called every major newspaper in the nation to it, and then said his peace. I have no issue with what Curt said, since he just said it on the radio, where any human can talk if the DJ's will let you.

Pinella's response was fine, since he was ambushed with the press and he has the right to defend himself through the press if they come to him.

AA ERA
    My problem with Curt is this. If he had a problem with Lou, why didn't he go confront Lou in person about this. Why address this on sports radio? Confront Lou about this and go from there. It's chicken crap to call WEEI and then make accusations. Lou actually called Boston's traveling secretary to talk to Curt yesterday and Curt never called back. Here's hoping Curt and Lou confront each other and settle this issue.

As for Lou, this is just an example of him showing his frustration with what's going on with his team. He is clearly not happy and you can just tell with the beanballs and his outburst.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Big words from a guy who won't be playing anytime soon. I am all for a person being outspoken but you have to have something intelligent to say when you do it. Curt rarely does that. Piniella did not throw the ball and I am pretty damn sure he did not order Carter to throw at Ortiz's head. This whole thing started when Ortiz did HIS bat flip and not the Drays doing it. If you can't handle a guy celebrating a WALKOFF HOMER a night before, then you need to find a new profession. Grow the **** up and deal with it! That's baseball! Go out and score 20 runs the next game if you don't like it.

Not that I'm condoning what Schilling said, if he's lying and he certainly had a better route to go, but no one here knows if that was just on a whim, that he called a sports talk show to talk, like a normal human being. If this was premeditated, then screw Schilling's personality, he should have talked to Pinella. Really though, this isn't even the worst thing that's happened between a coach and player in the last week. How about you guys start piling on Ozzie Guillen's treatment of Magglio Ordonez?

As for Curt's big words, he really has a right to say anything he wants to say. He's an elite baseball player who has been around for quite a while. He's opinionated, and what are the odds that anyone would have cared if the media didn't blow it up. Christ, it's a talk radio show.

AA ERA
    Fisher: I wrote a piece on Ozzie for this website. I will be one of the writers for this site and my article will be about Ozzie. It should be published ASAP. It's up to mission to publish it. If you are interested about the article, give me a PM. I am not going to publish it here without mission's consent.

Ozzie is an idiot for what he did to Magglio and he was a complete idiot yesterday for arguing with the ump when Crede clearly wanted to get a hit. I have made it clear in this board that I don't care for Ozzie and that goes back to last year in the old board that we post.

While Curt has a right to say something, I just think it's little coward of him to attack someone and accuse someone for doing something wrong. I don't mind Curt saying stuff and what he said about the Yankees was dead-on, but to accuse someone of startng up a fight is uncalled for.

I think Mission will put it up. If he doesn't, then shoot a PM to me, I'd enjoy reading it.

I can see the reasoning on Curt, and if it was premeditated, which it very well could be, I agree. I'm just hoping he was driving somewhere, and heard a discussion on the radio and wanted to voice in, rather than planning it.