Thread: Wells to retire

Wells to retire

Link

BOSTON -- This is going to be it for David Wells, who said Sunday his latest ailment will cause him to retire after this season.

"I'm 100 percent sure," said Wells, 42, whose right knee forced him onto the disabled list Saturday. "I'm not going to go through this again, knowing how my knee feels. Last year, I received a lot of injections to stay on the field to help the team out."

So, exactly how many cortisone shots did he get last year?

"A bunch," Wells said. "The fact is, I try to stay in the game. If I'm pitching well, I'm going to try to do whatever it takes to stay out there. I paid the price. Obviously, I took one too many [shots] in the knee and I had to have surgery."

That's not the only price that he's paying. Wells believes the negative reaction he received from the fans in his rough outing in an 8-4 loss to the Blue Jays Wednesday had something to do with his request to be traded over the winter.

"I read that I demanded. I didn't demand. I asked," Wells said. "Asking and demanding are two separate things. ... I just asked for a trade to go home. I don't care what people think or say, or whatever. But they were pretty quick to boo. I mean, I gave up a home run and it just came out, one after another."

Wells said he wasn't bothered by the booing.

"They're not going to hurt my feelings as long as they keep it to me and nobody else," Wells said. "Bringing my family and stuff in it, then I'm going to have a problem."

Wells said his family has not been subjected to any ridicule.

"Not yet. I'm sure it will come," he said.

MLB ERA
    Haha, great news, can't wait to see this shithead out of the game.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Why doesn't he just retire now and save Red Sawx fans from the misery.
    rf28

Y'all suck. I love Boomer and hope he pitchers forever.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Please reconsider Boomer, Please retire today, don't wait until the end of the season. He can't quit soon enough to suit me.

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance324
    Please reconsider Boomer, Please retire today, don't wait until the end of the season. He can't quit soon enough to suit me.
    Ill second that

I would say that, but when healthy, he's likely better than Lenny Dinardo, so while I'll be glad to have him retired later, I'll take him now
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    but is he better than Willis whom the Sox are rumored to be getting?

Not going to happen. Not because the proposed deal is unfair (Hansen is looking awesome and may be training to start, Lester's very very good, Willis is amazing), but because Florida has no need to take a risk on two prospects when Willis is young and cheap
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    he's not as young and cheap as prospects

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He's young and cheap until he has a monster year this season. He's still arby eligible and a good season will get him huge jack, considering he already makes $4 mill+
    rf28