Thread: Foulke puts team ahead of himself

AA ERA

Red Sox Foulke puts team ahead of himself

ARLINGTON, Texas - For one game at least, Jonathan Papelbon became the Red Sox closer.
    To the man who held the job the last two years, Keith Foulke, the decision was not only the right one but it was handled properly.
    “The Sox win - that’s always my first concern,” Foulke said after Papelbon pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to preserve the 2-1 victory over Texas.
    Josh Beckett pitched seven innings, while Mike Timlin pitched the eighth. If Beckett had not completed seven, Foulke and Papelbon were aware the veteran would be used in the save situation. But if the game unfolded as it did, allowing Timlin to work the eighth, then the rookie would get the call.

“(Sox manager Terry Francona) said that I could be throwing the ball better and that Papelbon’s throwing the ball great and do what you’re told,” Foulke said. “The team comes first. You have to do what’s important for the team, not for yourself.”
    Foulke has frequently said that closing is not his life’s dream and he repeated the sentiment last night.
    “You guys are always talking about me being the closer - I tell you what, I don’t wake up in the morning and go to the grocery store and say, ‘I’m the closer,’ ” said Foulke, who was shaky in Monday’s opener when he allowed two hits and one run in one inning. “He’s the manager of the Boston Red Sox, he’s not Keith Foulke’s dad. (Papelbon’s) been throwing the ball great.”
    Foulke said he felt fine physically and mentally.
    “I’m fine - I’ve told you guys for three years, what’s important is the team winning,” he said. “Maybe I’m not in the closer’s role now but the Sox won. I have to prove myself to Terry, the 24 other guys in here, to the front office - but I’ve had to prove myself . . . my whole career.”
    Francona stressed that a one-day change of role could just as easily change again back to Foulke being the closer - once he begins to pitch better, which, according to the manager, is going to happen.

“It’s a long year, I don’t think Foulke is quite ready yet to be the guy we need him to be,” Francona said. “(Papelbon’s) throwing as well as anyone. By no means is this an indictment of Foulke. He’s going to pitch and he’s going to be brilliant.”
    For his part, Papelbon rubbed his chin thoughtfully at the idea that last night’s development might cause a stir in Boston.
    “Yeah, yeah, I understand that,” he said. “I totally understand that’s probably going to happen, but you know what, man, I’m just going to go out there when Tito gives me the rock.”

http://redsox.bostonherald.com/redSo...format=&page=2
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

AA ERA
    Good to see Foulke embracing Papelbon getting the call and coming through with the save.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Nothing better than a team player, that a lot to do with how the Red Sox won two years ago, unselfishness. WTG Foulke

Maybe he's harboring resentment inside, but he's swallowed his ego before when he got his closer job in Chicago usurped. I'm not surprised, but happy
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.