Thread: Clippers close to acquiring Danilo Gallinari

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

NBA Clippers close to acquiring Danilo Gallinari

Clips would get Gallo in a 3-team sign-and-trade using the 2018 1st round pick they got from Houston to move Jamal Crawford's salary to Atlanta, while Paul Millsap would be technically traded to Denver instead of signing outright with the Nuggets.

Atlanta would be expected to buy out or trade Crawford so that he can land with a contender and haunt the Clippers.

But seriously, I don't fully understand this deal from the Clippers' standpoint. When they let CP3 go to Houston, I could buy the theory that Jerry West had advised Ballmer that his team wasn't going anywhere and needed to blow it up. But then re-signing Griffin and signing Gallinari and thinking they can compete with the Warriors seems like the type of ill-advised moves that would be totally uncharacteristic of Jerry West.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 07-04-2017 at 05:23 AM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Clippers close to acquiring Danilo Gallinari

as far as i understood of the cp3 move... he was opting out, and had no intention of going back to lac. so they told him to opt in, and as a favor he did, so they could net some pieces for him. which seems shortsighted in my book, to weaken the team youre going to, to help your old team... but yea... i guess houston wouldve needed to cut salary to fit cp3 on anyway.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Yeah, Houston needed to dump Beverley's and Sweet Lou's contracts to make room for CP3. I understand the trade would have happened regardless of who's in charge (Doc or Jerry) because CP3 wasn't coming back. But then to tie up their cap space in Griffin and Gallo to go along with DeAndre Jordan? That reeks of a desperation move by Doc because he doesn't want to coach a rebuilding team.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 07-04-2017 at 03:42 PM.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Team medical staff is in for a busy season... So who's starting at the 2? Lou? Teodosic? Rivers? Wesley Johnson or uhh..Deandre Liggins......still such a weirdly mushed together team.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

id guess tedosic and beverley would be the starters... tedosic is supposedly an amazing offensive player that plays no defense. beverley would seem to be the compliment to that, i guess.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    as far as i understood of the cp3 move... he was opting out, and had no intention of going back to lac. so they told him to opt in, and as a favor he did, so they could net some pieces for him. which seems shortsighted in my book, to weaken the team youre going to, to help your old team... but yea... i guess houston wouldve needed to cut salary to fit cp3 on anyway.
    Doesn't that give CP3 the chance to make more money? I thought the NBA had a deal where guys get paid more to resign (hence all the sign/trade deals) than to sign a deal elsewhere.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Doesn't that give CP3 the chance to make more money? I thought the NBA had a deal where guys get paid more to resign (hence all the sign/trade deals) than to sign a deal elsewhere.
    It technically wasn't a sign-and-trade in CP3's case. He opted in to the final year of his contract with the Clippers instead of becoming an unrestricted free agent. I'm not sure how playing out the final year benefits him financially compared to hitting the market now, but my guess is he wanted to wait and see how his season in Houston goes.
    Last edited by realmofotalk; 07-13-2017 at 01:39 AM.