Thread: Hidalgo To Retire?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Hidalgo To Retire?

The Orioles could have an announcement regarding the absent Richard Hidalgo tomorrow. A source told MLB.com that the outfielder is considering retirement.
    Melvin Mora, one of Hidalgo's close friends, said he's not sure what to make of the situation. "Believe me, I was surprised. I think he has family problems -- that's what somebody told me," Mora said. "I don't know what happened. We can say anything we want, but I don't know what happened with his family. He had major reasons to go, and family comes first."
    This sucks for the O's since I thought he could help in that lineup more than Patterson but Mora is right, family comes first.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No!!! Not Rueter and Hidalgo in the same day! Ugh...who's next, Matt Stairs?

AA ERA
    Wow... Players that were big named guys a few years back are retiring left and right this offseason.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Didn't Hidalgo just sign with the O's this offseason? Shame for the Orioles to lose him to retirement.

But family does and should always come first.

I doubt Hidalgo makes the roster anyway, so no harm, no foul. We have much better players, especially young outfielders, that deserve more of a look then a washed up OF whose had one, maybe two, good seasons. Good luck to him in clearing up his personal life, but he wasn't going to make the Orioles anyway.

He's not that horrible. He's only 31 and still think he could play.

Really, it doesn't matter anymore. Retired or not, he won't be a Oriole. He was released from the Orioles.

Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    He's not that horrible. He's only 31 and still think he could play.

Really, it doesn't matter anymore. Retired or not, he won't be a Oriole. He was released from the Orioles.
    Right, I know. He wasn't going to make the team regardless. Many younger, more talented outfielders that are ready for that chance, including Nick Markasis, who is probably now virtually assured of a spot on the Opening Day roster. Not like Hidalgo posed much of a threat.

I have a feeling Orioles will be down at the basement below the D-Rays in the AL East.

I have a feeling Orioles will be down at the basement below the D-Rays in the AL East.
    I've got them in second place behind the Yankees. I'm writing a two part article series that will explain why....should be all finished in two weeks.

Sounds great man. Really do you think they'll be ahead of the Red Sox and Blue Jays for sure? D-Rays are probably even better than your Orioles.

Sounds great man. Really do you think they'll be ahead of the Red Sox and Blue Jays for sure? D-Rays are probably even better than your Orioles.
    Yep....two things caused our downfall. One was Erik Bedard, putting up ace numbers, out with a knee injury (part one of the article) and when Palmeiro and Sosa started acting up, we had no leadership to help right the ship, and we went downhill. Pitching is fixed- Bedard is back, Leo Mazzone is here, and we have talented young pitchers ready to breakout. Jeff Conine and Kevin Millar are dynamic leadership personalities, and are the guys to lead this team, and keep us light and afloat. I'll go more in depth later, but I certainly think its possible for the Orioles to finish second.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Drays will outscore the O's but just don't have the pitching. O's willfinish slightly above the Drays because their offense will hurt them. Tejada and Mora can only do so much. Roberts will likely regress from last year and the OF will put up the lowest numbers of any OF in the AL East. And did I mention LaTroy Hawkins is likely to be their closer? Pitching will improve but that is the only positive thing I can see.