Thread: Majewski Takes Turn At 1B

Orioles Majewski Takes Turn At 1B

Add a name to the armada of Orioles trying their hands at first base.

Outfield prospect Val Majewski donned the big mitt during workouts yesterday and Wednesday. He joins a group of would-be first basemen that includes Javy Lopez, Kevin Millar and Jeff Conine.

Majewski, 24, has played all three outfield positions in the minors but played first base during his college career at Rutgers.

"He was a very, very good first baseman as an amateur, so it's definitely something we're looking at as a possible way to get him to the big leagues quicker," said David Stockstill, the team's director of minor league operations. "Anytime you can be a multi-position player, that gives you an advantage."

"I'm just going to show what I can do at both spots," Majewski said. "Hopefully, they'll see something they like."

With Walter Young being claimed off waivers by San Diego, the Orioles don't have any highly rated prospects who play first.

Majewski said a few coaches suggested he try first base because the throws would be easier on his surgically repaired left shoulder. He said his arm is fully recovered from the season-ending injury he suffered last March but said he's happy to add a skill to his resume.

Manager Sam Perlozzo said he received good reports on Majewski's play around the bag. "[First base coach] Dave Cash came over and said it looks like the kid has pretty good hands," the manager said.

"I think it's just a new option for him," Perlozzo said. "I think it gives him another opportunity to make the club."

Perlozzo joked that the team has "got about eight first basemen."

Majewski said he's regaining his comfort with the position, which requires closer attention on every pitch.

"It just takes a couple of days to get the feeling back, that faster reaction time," he said. "You're just looking to get that really comfortable feeling."

Majewski was the club's Minor League Player of the Year in 2004, hitting .307 with 15 homers and 80 RBIs at Double-A Bowie.

"As a hitter, he has a real good idea how to make adjustments on his own," Stockstill said. "He doesn't need a lot of regular coaching. ... I think his bat's getting close [to major-league ready]."
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/basebal...sports-baseball

How many guys need to try out first base before this gets rediculous? I think that, if anyone else besides Lopez, Conine, Millar, and Majewski are considered, Perlozzo is off the deep end. Its possbile for Majewski to make the MLB roster out of ST, but it'll be a long haul, especially considering how many 1B/OF's the Orioles have. Plus, Majewski has yet to play at AAA, and spent most of 2005 out with a torn labrum. Give him another year in the Minors, and hopefully in 2007, he'll be ready to assume the starting job. However, despite what I said earlier, its a smart choice, since none of the 1B hopefuls are signed, in stone, beyond this season.