Thread: Millar Hopes To Rock Baltimore

Orioles Millar Hopes To Rock Baltimore

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- While with the Boston Red Sox, Kevin Millar considered himself to be part of one of baseball's most popular band of players.

"You are a rock star when you play in that city," Millar said Monday, minutes after exchanging handshakes with several members of his new team.

The Orioles once received that kind of reverence in Baltimore, but enthusiasm for the team has waned in the wake of eight straight losing seasons. Millar intends to help change all that.

"I think that there have been some situations that you get stagnant," he said, "but our job as a group is to come in here and make everybody, you know, be a rock star."

Sporting bleached-blond hair and a full beard that will soon be gone because of team policy, Millar arrived from Texas well ahead of his suitcases. That minor inconvenience did little to deter his excitement.

"It's been kind of a long night. Our plane got canceled out of Houston, so I don't have any luggage," he said. "I have no underwear, no spikes, no gloves. But I'm here. I made it."

He made it onto the field, too, borrowing equipment for a workout a day before the full squad was scheduled to gather for the first time this spring.

The 34-year-old signed a one-year, $2.1 million contract (with a possible $2.6 million in performance bonuses) as a free agent after ending his three-year run with Boston. He helped the Red Sox reach the playoffs in 2003 and win the World Series in 2004, but last season Millar hit .272 with a .355 on-base percentage -- the second-lowest totals of his major league career.

Millar spent much of the winter working out in Arizona, and now he's ready to enjoy a bounce-back season with one of Boston's AL East rivals.

"I have worked a lot harder than I ever have in the offseason," he said. "Mentally, I think I am tougher. Does that mean I am going to go out and hit .350 with 35 home runs? Probably not. But you know what? I am going to go out there and try to stay healthy and do the best I can."

The Orioles are counting on Millar for hits and homers, but his presence in the clubhouse is nearly as important. During the 2003 season he coined the phrase "Cowboy Up!" -- which became Boston's battle cry in September and into the playoffs.

"I'm a little wacko," he said. "I'm going to be myself and have fun here. Hopefully everybody has fun and we roll."

John Halama, a former Boston reliever trying to make the Orioles this spring, loved having Millar as a teammate.

"He's a positive guy, whether things are going good or bad. There's always an upside with him," Halama said. "If you make an out with the game on the line, he'll come over and give you a hug. You're going to have your bad days, but the better mood you're in when things are going bad, the better chance you have of getting out of that slump."

It's tougher in Boston, where every at-bat is dissected by the fans and media. Millar found that out last season, when he hit .237 through May.

"I just think Boston is very unique. Boston is a small city, it's Sox Nation," he said. "People live, die, eat and breathe baseball. There's 24-hour talk radio, a bazillion media members. That's Boston."

And now?

"This is Baltimore. It's the American League East, it's still a phenomenal division," he said. "It's a great place to play. Just because you don't have the 50 television crews around you all the time, doesn't mean this team can't generate that enthusiasm. Our job is to do that by winning baseball games, playing hard every day and doing the right things on the baseball field. I think we can do that."

Millar is focused now on adjusting to a new clubhouse, but during the first week of the season he will meet some old friends when the Red Sox come to Baltimore for a three-game series.

"You get a chance to see them and beat them up hopefully 19 times," he said. "And hopefully I can give away some of their secrets."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

I don't think he'll get much of a chance to "rock" Baltimore. His playing time at 1B will be very limited, as Lopez and Conine have that 1B/DH platoon locked down. We have a logjam at outfield, and he'll only get a few games in left-field, as the Orioles will not bench their only left-handed power hitter Jay Gibbons. I don't know why the Orioles even bothered to sign Millar. We have our leadership and CIF/COF guy in Conine, and plenty of young outfielders deserving of a chance. This is something that just boggles me.

Depth probably. Not to mention, Millar is a great guy and a great clubhouse guy. Orioles will be better with him.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I don't like Millar. He's just a moron and always runs his mouth...similar to Schilling only he's sucks more.

Really? I never heard of Millar running his mouth. {Thinking back} Nope, don't remember Millar ever running his mouth.

Any specific proof to back it up?

Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Depth probably. Not to mention, Millar is a great guy and a great clubhouse guy. Orioles will be better with him.
    I still don't get it. Conine plays the same position, signed for the same length, and will provide even more leadership than Millar, since Conine actually knows a lot of players on the team, and they grew up with Conine as their veteran mentor. Guys like Roberts and Gibbons, to name a few. With so many outfielders ready for the majors, and that we had to waive promising 1B prospect Walter Young to clear a roster spot for Millar, it was a damn waste.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by RockSports17
    Really? I never heard of Millar running his mouth. {Thinking back} Nope, don't remember Millar ever running his mouth.

Any specific proof to back it up?
    are you serious? He's always saying stupid shit..."cowboy up!" "we're just a bunch of idiots" and so on...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Plus Millar ran his mouth on Sportscenter about wanting Arod to come play for the Sox when the deal wasn't done yet. Dan Patrick is actually to blame as he kept trying to start shit but Millar should have shutup until the deal was done, which never happened and every BoSox fan instantly hated Arod.

Millar will hit .237 with 5 homers and 19 RBI.

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    are you serious? He's always saying stupid shit..."cowboy up!" "we're just a bunch of idiots" and so on...
    Yah I'm serious. Never heard him talk any shit......maybe I just got a bad memory.

MLB ERA
    you don't remember "cowboy up!"?? perhaps the single worst slogan ever? c'mon now!

Lol. No I don't. Geez, you're making me feel horrible. I watch sportscenter a good amount, and I know I would've caught something. But I just don't remember it at all.

MLB ERA
    it was their slogan on their to and through the playoffs in 2004

Be glad you never heard it then because it just made me want to punch people in the face whenever I heard it

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    it was their slogan on their to and through the playoffs in 2004

Be glad you never heard it then because it just made me want to punch people in the face whenever I heard it
    You weren't the only one. What does "cowboy up" have to do with baseball? Come on. Cowboy jokes weren't even "in" until Brookback, or whatever its called.

The only thing dumber were the Diet Pepsi machine commercials during the Super Bowl. I almost put my laptop through the TV while watching the Redskins they were so stupid.

If the Orioles get a stupid phrase, I think we may see that laptop impacted in a television screen.