Thread: Notes: Conine Returns With A Flourish

Orioles Notes: Conine Returns With A Flourish

First, he playfully chastised a reporter for asking a question about his age. Then, he made a dig at teammate Jay Gibbons, and he topped off his afternoon by tackling a club employee in the Orioles' clubhouse and ripping his shirt.

After 2 1/2 years away, Jeff Conine made his official return to the Orioles yesterday and acted as if he had never left. The 39-year-old, known for his quick wit and dry sense of humor, took batting practice with Gibbons and David Newhan and then spoke to the media later, deflecting questions about his age.

Asked if getting ready for the season has gotten harder because of his age, Conine said, "It took like three minutes for an age question. I feel good now as I have for the last 10 years. It's just a number to me."

Conine, who hit .304 last season with the Florida Marlins, was signed to give manager Sam Perlozzo some flexibility and to add some energy and leadership to the clubhouse. On Day One, he was already playing the part.

As Gibbons was getting interviewed in the dugout at Fort Lauderdale Stadium about his new four-year, $21.1 million contract, Conine lurked behind him, calling him "Big Bank Hank."

Later, Conine spotted a familiar face, a member of the Orioles' production staff, and wrestled him to the floor, creating a roar from teammates.

"I don't mess with Niner when it comes to those kind of things," said Perlozzo, when asked about Conine playing at age 39. "He can stop me with one finger. ... He's a special guy, no question. We didn't get a guy just to come in here and kind of be here. We expect him to be productive on the field."

Meet Andy Tracy
    The newest Oriole, Andy Tracy, met the media yesterday morning, while sitting in front of a locker that didn't even bear his name. The corner infielder drove to Fort Lauderdale from Cleveland's camp in Winter Haven, after learning that the Indians traded him to the Orioles for a player to be named.
    On his role, Tracy joked: "I haven't talked to anybody. I don't even think half the people know I'm over here."

Tracy, 32, who has appeared in 136 big league games with the Montreal Expos and Colorado Rockies, played last year in Japan, hitting .209 in 63 games with the Rakuten Golden Eagles.

"It's nice to be over here and where I'm wanted - I think," Tracy said.

Around the horn
    Gibbons on his early arrival: "I came in from my honeymoon in the Caribbean [on Saturday] and I figured it would be nice to come in here and get the beach out of my mind." ... Perlozzo said that reliever Todd Williams, who left Saturday's workout early with a sore shoulder, won't throw for a couple of days. ... Team doctors hadn't reviewed the magnetic resonance imaging test taken on Aaron Rakers' right shoulder, but he is eager to get back throwing.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball

Conine was a favorite player of mine a few years back with the Orioles, and I've rooted for him the past few with the Marlins. Its great to have him back, as his leadership was sorely missed, especially in 2005. He should right the clubhouse after the tumultuous season we endured, and the same thing in the offseason. Many of the young Orioles, such as Roberts and Gibbons, remember Conine, and respect him. Lets not forget, he is great depth at the CIF and COF positions, and is a solid hitter, usually hitting .300 with some line drive power.