Thread: Notes: Mora, Orioles: Lets Make A Deal

Orioles Notes: Mora, Orioles: Lets Make A Deal

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. // Until he hears otherwise, Melvin Mora is treating this as his last spring training with the Baltimore Orioles.

The team - and his agent - have been working for nearly two months to change that perception.

Mora hit .283 last season, led Baltimore with 27 homers and made his second appearance in the All-Star game. He is entering the final season of a three-year extension signed in January 2004.

"I love the Orioles. I would like to stay here," he said. "This is my final year and people, fans, know how much I love this team."

If all goes as planned, meetings between the Orioles and Mora's agent, Lon Babby, will produce another extension by the time the team heads north at the end of March.

"We've been having a dialogue since the beginning of January," Orioles vice president Jim Duquette said Tuesday. "We're hopeful it's going to get done. He's obviously a guy we'd like to keep in an Oriole uniform for a number of years."

Mora would seemingly make him a perfect fit with the Orioles, who are interested in keeping those that want to be retained.

"We're looking for players who want to be Baltimore Orioles," manager Sam Perlozzo said. "I really want this organization to be proud, and I want our players to want to play here."

Mora worked hard Tuesday during Baltimore's first full-squad practice. His focus this spring will be on getting ready for the season opener and playing for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic.

He's aware of the contract negotiations, but sees no reason to be overly concerned.

"They're talking. They're making pretty good progress, but nothing is finalized yet," he said. "My agent deals with that. I just deal with baseball."

RAKERS SHELVED

Orioles reliever Aaron Rakers has a shoulder injury that could put him out for the season.

The team announced Tuesday that Rakers, who went 3-2 with a 6.34 ERA in eight games as a rookie last year, has a slap lesion tear of his right labrum.

He can either choose surgery, which would likely end his season, or rehab, which would enable him to pitch later this year.

The right-hander was unlikely to make the team out of spring training.

NO SHOWS

Pitcher Eddy Garabito and infielder Napoleon Calzado did not report with the rest of the position players because of visa problems.

Pitcher Eddy Rodriguez is also missing from camp for the same reason. Rodriguez is expected to arrive this weekend.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...ports-baseball

Definately re-sign Mora. I don't know why we are waiting. He can play most any position you ask him to. He can hit anywhere in the order, and is best served in the #2 role, where his patience, speed, and power is a great asset. Mora remains a leader on this team, and someone well respected in the clubhouse. Each Orioles struggled during the second half, but over the past few years, Mora's been a leader for the batting title, along with good power and great defense. Why wait?