Thread: LaTroy Hawkins: Won't Be Considered For Closer Job

Orioles LaTroy Hawkins: Won't Be Considered For Closer Job

Update: Hawkins won't be competing with Chris Ray for the closer's job, but manager Sam Perlozzo said he could fill in if Ray is unavailable, the Baltimore Sun reports.

Recommendation: With Hawkins' past reliability in a setup role and Ray's general lack of major league experience, Hawkins is a must-have in AL-only leagues and is a smart endgame pick in deep mixed leagues as he's sure to vulture some wins and maybe even a few saves in Baltimore's otherwise inexperienced bullpen.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...wire&type=lgns

Hawkins just does not have the mentality to close, and eliminating him from contention this early nearly assures Chris Ray will be the closer. After all, why block your future? Previously, Hawkins was one of the American League's best set up men, and hopefully, he will assume that title again. I'm glad we are keeping him out of the closer role, and that he'll only be asked to close on days when Ray pitched straight games before, or is just tired.

LaTroy Hawkins is one of those players who's a good MRer/SU guy, but just cannot close.

Hopefully Reitsma turns out to not be a white LaTroy.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    See, I believe that Chris Ray will be their closer and have a huge year due to Leo Mazzone. Watch out for the upstart Orioles

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't even consider a guy who had 28 saves and a 5.96 ERA in his first full season as a closer. He had an excellent year as the Cubs closer in '04 but is definately more suited as a middle reliever and has a much better track record there than as a closer. Hopefully Ray can carry over his hot pitching from last year.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz
    which is probably good news to the rest of the team.

and molina, he did NOT have an excellent year as the closer in 2004. He was decent at best as a closer. as a setup man, he was very good.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

MLB ERA
    It looks like an excellent year to me from the standpoint of a 2.63 ERA and a 1.05 WHIP. 25 saves is nothing special though.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

The problem is that Hawkins gets himself into too much trouble while getting those saves. On some days, he'll shut the team out. On others, he'll blow it. The combination stats doesn't show it, but thats what he's done, and thats the complaint from Cubs fans. Anyway, I'm happy that Hawkins will be setting up, because Ray needs time to aquaint himself with the closer role. Hawkins will be there to mentor him about being a reliever in the majors, and close when Ray has pitched consecutive games.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I am just glad to of gotten rid of Hawkins for Steve Kline. We really needed that.