Thread: Ray Closes In On Stoppers Role

Orioles Ray Closes In On Stoppers Role

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) -- Chris Ray never had been in a big-league spring training camp before this week, so the Baltimore Orioles' new closer can be forgiven for embracing the perks most of his teammates take for granted.

"It's all new to me here," the right-hander said Friday. "I'm still trying to get used to the area. I'll say this: It's nice to have an air conditioner in the clubhouse."

A year ago, Ray began his third professional season in the Orioles' minor league camp in Sarasota. Now, he's an integral part of Baltimore's pitching staff, so Ray will spend the spring in a cool, spacious locker room.

Where he resides this summer, and the role he serves, remains uncertain. But first-year manager Sam Perlozzo has made clear his intention of making Ray the successor to closer B.J. Ryan, who registered 36 saves last season before joining Toronto as a free agent.

The Orioles failed to land a stopper in the free-agent market or via a trade, so that means Baltimore will depend on the 24-year-old Ray, who went 1-3 with a 2.66 ERA in 41 games last season.

"We feel like he can do it. It's time for him to go ahead and step up and take the challenge," Perlozzo said. "Not only take it, but do well with it. I feel totally confident that he can do it."

Which explains why the Orioles didn't search elsewhere for Ryan's replacement.

"We dabbled with getting a guy who could maybe be a transition closer until Chris could take over, but we were never really all that serious because we really feel like he's our guy," said Jim Duquette, the Orioles vice president for baseball operations.

"Our feeling was let's not block him and sign a guy to a long-term contract unless he's a dominating closer like B.J. was," Duquette added. "There really wasn't that kind of animal on the free agent market."

So the Orioles will depend on a pitcher who worked as a starter for two years before moving to the bullpen last year. After compiling an 0.96 ERA and 18 saves at Double-A Bowie, Ray went 0-3 with a 2.96 ERA in his first 17 appearances with Baltimore.

He endured a rocky stretch before being sent back to Bowie for two weeks, then returned to the Orioles for good on Aug. 23. Ray allowed only one run in his final 11 appearances, and now he's being trusted to take over for one of the best closers in the game.

"There's always concern with everything you do. It is what it is now, and you have to go with it. You can't just sit there on the fence when there's no fence to be found," Perlozzo said. "He's our guy, and that's the way it's going to be. Hopefully that will be the answer."

For Ray, the pressure associated with his current situation has little to do with pitching the ninth inning at Yankee Stadium in July. His immediate concern is being in Baltimore for opening day on April 3.

"I'm still trying to make the team right now. There's no guarantee," he said. "I just want to go out there, do my best, and everything else will take care of itself. I'll be happy with any role coming out of spring training."

Ray, a third-round selection in the 2003 amateur draft, never expected to be pitching in Baltimore last season. His rapid ascension also surprised the Orioles, who are willing to take a chance on the 6-foot-3, 200-pounder -- but will be careful not to ruin his confidence.

Just in case Ray struggles, veteran relievers LaTroy Hawkins and Todd Williams are poised to serve as closers in his place.

"We have a lot of great options in the bullpen that can fill in or pick up where I left off," Ray said. "It's a great feeling knowing that if I get into trouble there are other guys who can do the job."

After watching Ray pitch with poise and precision last season, Williams fully expects to remain a setup man.

"The quicker he learns, the easier it's going to come to him," Williams said. "All he needs is a couple things to go his way to maintain his confidence. Then he'll be OK."
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-o...ov=ap&type=lgns

What a good first season for Ray last year, serving immediately as a setup man, and facing teams like the Yankees and Red Sox right off the bat. He did fairly well, considering this was his first season as a closer anywhere. He can certainly pick up where he left off, and has two great relievers mentoring him in Hawkins and Williams, not to mention Leo Mazzone. Ray will endure his share of struggles this season, but he will be an above average closer this year, and should be an elite one come 2007. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action.

I like that Chris Ray kid. Got a good arm.

Maybe he should play for Da Raiders.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic