Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O's, Hardy agree to extension

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    His glove is about all he has going for him this year though he has battled injuries. I don't see him moving unless an injury forces him to. Lots of comparisons to ARod who we all know was a good SS.
    Sat next to scouts at a couple Delmarva Shorebirds games this week and they were saying no way Machado is average SS at MLB level defensively

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: O's, Hardy agree to extension

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    Disagree they should be building the way of the Pirates and Rays and not buy spending money on the MLB club
    The Orioles have been building the way of the Rays. Even the Rays spent on the MLB club and Hardy for a short term deal is a good one, not breaking the bank and not a long term contract. Its not like the O's don't have other veterans to trade at the deadline. The Orioles have money unlike the Rays and Pirates.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Sat next to scouts at a couple Delmarva Shorebirds games this week and they were saying no way Machado is average SS at MLB level defensively
    Most scouting reports I can find says he is most likely to remain at SS but some feel he might fill out and get too big much like Hanley is now so we'll just have to wait and see. Regardless where he plays, he should have a nice stick.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    The Orioles have been building the way of the Rays. Even the Rays spent on the MLB club and Hardy for a short term deal is a good one, not breaking the bank and not a long term contract. Its not like the O's don't have other veterans to trade at the deadline. The Orioles have money unlike the Rays and Pirates.
    In terms of long term competing swapping Hardy for a Type A spec is a no-brainer, enough contenders need SS you'd get more than you think

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Type A might be pushing it but definitely a top five prospect in a package not to mention one of those contending teams are the Brewers so that's out as they have no Type A prospects. It's still not a bad move for the O's. You can't say they would compete anytime soon though. Did you see the Rays crawling out the basement to finish first in 2008? O's have guys like Reynolds, Uehara, Vlad, Scott, Johnson, Lee and Reimold they can move. Hardy is in his prime and he could still fetch the Orioles a good package if they decide to trade him later in the deal.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

double post

MLB ERA

In terms of long term competing swapping Hardy for a Type A spec is a no-brainer, enough contenders need SS you'd get more than you think
    Highly doubt it.... You can't go on 'potential' with Hardy who is not some 24 or 25 year old.. you have to actually look at his track history... and it's a middle of the road to slightly better SS who may give you 125+ games or may not... he's not leadoff, top of the order, or middle of the order material... he is somewhere 6-9 in most contender lineups... he is not going to bring any top flight spect, whether we got him for slightly below market value or not

IMHO.. he is of more value to us than he is to a contender, and hence more valuable than what a contender would give in return... not gonna get a top flight spect for a defensive replacement or a .265 hitting SS with only moderate pop, an OB% that has never gone above .343, and no speed
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

MLB ERA

You are hating on hardy... He's a top 10 SS... U can def get a top 5 spec in a package for him... I'm sure Boston, Cincy, SF, Pittsburgh (that still looks weird), Brewers would be interested...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Blah blah blah! It's done, Orioles made a good move plus they were will be buyers in the offseason as well. One less hole to worry about as they can now put more focus on Prince Fielder.

MLB ERA

You are hating on hardy... He's a top 10 SS... U can def get a top 5 spec in a package for him... I'm sure Boston, Cincy, SF, Pittsburgh (that still looks weird), Brewers would be interested...
    Under a .270 career hitter with only moderate pop, not a great eye for ob%, no speed, injury history, and good defense.... sorry, but I'm not going to look at this through Orange colored glasses... you're not gonna get a top flight spect for that
    Give Me a Bottle of Anything and a Glazed Donut, To Go....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    no parents I have ever seen is THIS FREAKING STUPID.

Rookie ERA

Even if Hardy isn't done his contract by the time Machado is ready he can move to another position like 3rd base. Great move signing Hardy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12