Thread: O's want Guthrie back from Classic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Orioles O's want Guthrie back from Classic

O's want Guthrie back from Classic | orioles.com: News

The sooner the better for us and for him. We need to get him going," said pitching coach Rick Kranitz. "I talked to him and he's ready to go. He's ready to come back, and he's ready to join us and pitch. They're playing two games and they're taking more time off. They don't need four starters now and there's no need for him to be there. It's all great to go there and root for your team, but you know what? We need to get our staff squared away."
    This mainly has to do with their uncertanity in the rotation at the moment. They have 3 openings to be filled and they want their ace to get 3 starts before the season starts. This is a pretty legit reason to try and get him back. He won't most likely pitch in the Semis and Finals.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: O's want Guthrie back from Classic

I don't blame them one bit. I am glad the Giants have Jonathan Sanchez back so Righetti can work with him rather than some other pitching coach who isn't familiar with him.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: O's want Guthrie back from Classic

The WBC really does complicate things for teams with pitchers in the competition. The Reds for instance have a new catcher, Ramon Hernandez, and with him, Volquez and Cueto all spending some time in the classic it really might have an effect on the start of the season since they have been limited in the time they could work together. Other pitchers, veterans, go out and try new things when the season is still in practice mode. Then you have the potential that a pitcher could get off his mechanics and a new pitching coach might not detect anything to be amiss leaving a problem for his actual coach to fix when he comes back.

I know I agree with you reefer, when the Reds got back their two pitchers I was pretty happy about it. I don't know if I would feel differently if they were pitching for the USA though.