Thread: Finally, A Smart Move

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Orioles Finally, A Smart Move

The Baltimore Sun reports that Nick Markakis and the Orioles are close to agreeing to a six-year contract extension worth around $65 million.
    Markakis is arbitration eligible for the first time, so the newspaper expects a deal to be announced before figures must be submitted to the commissioner's office Tuesday. The seventh overall pick in the 2003 draft, Markakis has emerged as one of the best all-around outfielders in baseball and hit .306/.406/.491 with 20 homers, 10 steals and 99 walks in 157 games last season. A six-year deal would buy out his first three seasons of free agency, keeping Markakis under the Orioles' control through the age of 30.
    Congrats to the best RFer in the game.This kid is a special kind of player and the O's best not let him go.

MLB ERA

Re: Finally, A Smart Move

Not sure I'd go as far as to call him the best RF in the business, but he is a very good one and is getting better. I hope to see the Orioles keep him. He is a guy they should be able to build around.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He was the best RFer in '08 and don't see that changing any time soon.

MLB ERA

I'll not argue with you. The O's have a good one to build around. I wish them the best.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Andre Ethier just got a little more expensive. Markakis holds a big lead over Andre in walks, so I can't imagine Andre getting the same $65 million deal in the future, but he can make a case for a similar multi-year deal.

MLB ERA

6 years, $66M for Markakis. Could Roberts be next? MLBTV suggests something like 4 years, $40M or a bit more.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I think Roberts could start the year with a different team.

Good to see someone else shares my opinion of Markakis, and he is improving every year. He's a very good fielder with a rocket for an arm, which comes from his pitching background. When he was drafted, most scouts had him pegged for a career as a pitcher, but the Orioles needed a hitter at the time. As for a hitter, he's got everything you want, as is still improving. It's nice to see this deal get done.

As for Roberts, I know he's been the subject of trade rumors, but they have predominantly had him going to the Cubs for Felix Pie. Now that the Orioles have Pie, and it only cost Olson, I don't see Roberts moving now. I would definitely like to see him locked up.