Thread: O's Get Japanese Bopper

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Orioles O's Get Japanese Bopper

Orioles signed first baseman Craig Brazell to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    Brazell hit 39 homers in the minors in 2007 before spending last season in Japan with 27 home runs and an awful 139/30 K/BB ratio. He's ticketed for Triple-A Norfolk to start the season.
    Ok, so he's not Japanese but he did play in Japan last year. Seems like the guy can hit the ball a mile. I remember hearing about this guy in the Mets organization a few years ago. A Reggie Jackson type hitter, all or nothing. With Millar gone, he could win a spot.

The O's also signed Gregg Zaun to a one year, $1.5 million deal.

MLB ERA

Re: O's Get Japanese Bopper

I like these deals. Low risk, high potential reward. Zaun can mentor Matt Wieters and Brazell can hold down 1B or DH for a year or 2.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Brazell is likely headed for AAA. With the Felix Pie trade, that means he will be in left field full-time, and getting the same deal that Adam Jones got- full time this season, no matter how bad he might slump. With Pie, that means that Luke Scott moves from left-field to full-time DH (except some time to give the other outfielders days off) and Aubrey Huff moves to play first-base. I don't really see this guy getting some time unless injuries strike.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Luke Scott isn't that good and don;t see why people think he is a regular. If Brazzell impresses this spring, Brazell will get his ABs as a DH.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Luke Scott isn't that good and don;t see why people think he is a regular. If Brazzell impresses this spring, Brazell will get his ABs as a DH.
    He's got some pop, and I think will benefit from being the DH. He's also in a park that favors left-handed hitters. I also think that Brazzell is one of those AAAA players. I mean, like all players the Orioles give a shot to, I hope he succeeds, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Then again, I didn't get my hopes up for Jeremy Guthrie and look what happened. Brazzell just seems too much like a Russ Branyan for my liking.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cecil Fielder went from the Majors to Japan and back and did pretty well. All I'm saying because that's about the only example

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Cecil Fielder went from the Majors to Japan and back and did pretty well. All I'm saying because that's about the only example
    I know Like I said, I wish him luck, but I don't think much is going to happen. He's most likely a depth guy at AAA, who will put up some good numbers there and be available if he's ever needed in Baltimore. Snyder still isn't ready for AAA yet.

MLB ERA

Brazzel was a guy who never was supposed to be a star. He would have been a decent 1B who could fit low in the order where he needed to hit HR's, and not make too many outs. Good luck to him, but I don't think he'll be anything better than a mediocre bench player.