Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Tex is coming home!

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Re: Looks like Tex is coming home!

ESPN is now reporting Tex will be at the Ravens game.

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Supposedly Tex signed with the O's in the middle of last night!

AA ERA

Where are you getting this information?
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Talk about taking the money.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    Supposedly Tex signed with the O's in the middle of last night!
    really?

ESPN - Baltimore Orioles fall behind in Mark Teixeira derby

Unless Mark Teixeira is willing to give the Orioles a major hometown discount, it does not appear he will be playing in Baltimore.

The Orioles have stood by their initial offer and have not upgraded it, and sources say that the other teams involved in the bidding -- the Boston Red Sox, Los Angeles Angels and Washington Nationals -- have gone beyond Baltimore's proposal for the slugging first baseman.
    that doesn't sound like he signed.

AA ERA

I read that just a bit ago myself Providence. I still believe he ends up either in Boston or with the Angels, although if the money/years is comparable that he will choose the Red Sox due to the fact he will be closer to his family.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA

I think he ends up with the Red Sox. He obviously wants to be on the east coast. The major difference between Baltimore, Washington, and Boston is that Boston is a contender. Why would he choose to go to a non-contender if everything else is about even?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's View Post
    I think he ends up with the Red Sox. He obviously wants to be on the east coast. The major difference between Baltimore, Washington, and Boston is that Boston is a contender. Why would he choose to go to a non-contender if everything else is about even?
    Agreed. Plus, Boston puts him in the situation to land a fat contract extension in the future with more assurance than other teams given the fact that Boston should remain relatively competitive for quite some time given their available cash every offseason, foreign scouting and draft depth
    (like the Yankees, signing high dollar players in later rounds.)

Boston works both for the money and the non-money reasons outside of the fact that it is a bit further away from home than the Orioles are.

MLB ERA

This is what happens when you cite another message board as your source.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Rumors are just that -- rumors. I like to see sources like ESPN, MLB.com or Fox Sports for this information.
    As to Tex, I think either Boston or the Angels will sign him.
    Here is the latest from MLB.com:
    Teixeira decision likely coming soon | MLB.com: News
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Is it not possible that Boras is using the national media to try to drive up the price? Every national news piece for the past week has omitted the O's or not given the O's even a slim chance until Karl Ravech reported that he had an "enormous attraction" to play for the team he grew up rooting for.

I believe that Tex ordered Boras to tell McPhail that the O's get the chance to make the final offer from day one. So Boras, knowing that, is trying to use the 4 other organizations to get as much as he can out of Peter G. Angelos, who everyone loves to hate anyway... (including me!)

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by OrioleMagic View Post
    Is it not possible that Boras is using the national media to try to drive up the price? Every national news piece for the past week has omitted the O's or not given the O's even a slim chance until Karl Ravech reported that he had an "enormous attraction" to play for the team he grew up rooting for.

I believe that Tex ordered Boras to tell McPhail that the O's get the chance to make the final offer from day one. So Boras, knowing that, is trying to use the 4 other organizations to get as much as he can out of Peter G. Angelos, who everyone loves to hate anyway... (including me!)
    whether or not that is the case wasn't my point. You said "he signed overnight" and that simply isn't the case. if you have a source other than another message board, then by all means share it. I'd love to see it. Believe me, I'd love for him to sign with Baltimore or Washington, but I just don't see it happening.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Buster Olney of ESPN reports that the Orioles are unlikely to sign Mark Teixeira after failing to improve their initial offer.
    According to Olney, the Red Sox, Nationals and Angels have all made proposals to Teixeira that top the Orioles' offer. Boston has indicated that going beyond eight years for Teixeira is not an option, which could give the Angels or Nationals the upper hand.
    Go Angels!!

MLB ERA

Go Nationals!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast