Thread: Sherrill has many suitors

Orioles Sherrill has many suitors

Ten days before the nonwaiver trade deadline, Orioles closer George Sherrill continues to be one of the most coveted players on the market, with the St. Louis Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers among the most aggressive suitors, according to industry sources.

The Orioles are believed to be seeking two or three prospects - one potentially being a shortstop - for the 31-year-old All-Star reliever. Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail wouldn't comment on Sherrill specifically but has made it clear he will listen to offers for any of his players.

"When it comes to that, we'll evaluate each deal on a case-by-case basis and try to make the best decision for the organization and the fans, bearing in mind that we're trying to build a team that will contend in the American League East," MacPhail said.

With it unlikely that the Orioles will trade second baseman Brian Roberts, Sherrill, who has 29 saves, has become the team's biggest trade chip, attracting interest from as many as 10 teams, according to industry sources.

The Cardinals are one of the best fits because they have blown a National League-high 23 save tries this season. The Brewers, who have already acquired starting pitcher CC Sabathia and second baseman Ray Durham, are still looking to upgrade the back end of their bullpen. Other teams that potentially could be interested are the Los Angeles Dodgers, Los Angeles Angels, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, New York Mets and New York Yankees.

Sherrill, who was acquired from the Seattle Mariners in the Erik Bedard deal, said he is flattered by the outside interest but has no desire to leave Baltimore.

"It's flattering to be the one that they keep asking about, but right now, I'm an Oriole and proud of it," Sherrill said. "It's out of my control, and if I got traded, I'd be going to somebody in the playoff hunt. But I want to stay here and win here, first and foremost."

All-Star Sherrill has many suitors -- baltimoresun.com
    I'm not sure what others think, but I'm in no hurry to rush Sherrill out of town. He's been excellent this season, and is under Oriole control until 2011, I believe. A bullpen led by Chris Ray, Sherrill, Jim Johnson and Matt Albers has some serious potential, and I think the Orioles need to keep this group intact, no matter what we are offered for Sherrill.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

Re: Sherrill has many suitors

I would not be shipping him out. Even when Chris Ray returns next season we will need a big time left handed set-up guy with closer experience. I say keep this guy.

MLB ERA

Who says he's gonna want to stay to be a setup man to a mediocre closer?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rumors say Sherrill has been claimed while Huff cleared waivers.

MLB ERA

Why would Sherrill ever clear waivers? Every team in the majors needs relief help, of course he got claimed.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I hope the Cards make a play for him.

MLB ERA

Well, odds are it was an American league team, since they'd get first crack at him. Have I mentioned how that waiver rule is SOOOOO dumb?