Thread: Will the Orioles Gamble with Wieters as September call up

Closed
    Rookie ERA

Orioles Will the Orioles Gamble with Wieters as September call up

With the situation that the Orioles are in with catching will the Orioles chance rushing Matt Wieters up this September? Ramon Hernandez has be declining ever since his first year with the club and he really isn't getting any better. Quiroz is nothing more than a back-up. Wieters has been tearing the ball off the cover throw A ball and AA ball and may move up again in the near future bringing the possibility of having a cup of coffee in the bigs in September.

Re: Will the Orioles Gamble with Wieters as September call up

Of course they are going to call him up. Wieters was projected as the most MLB ready prospect the year he was drafted. He's proving that true now, and I'm trying to get down to Bowie to catch a game before he moves up.

But, I thought for sure he would've been put on the Olympic team. Instead, Jake Arrieta is going. I think that is a telling sign- if the Orioles didn't plan on calling him up, Wieters would've gone to the Olympics for sure.

MLB ERA

I don't think they want to start the arbitration/service time clock, no reason to panic as you aren't in a race, just wait til next spring.
    LeagueTeamDivision TitlesWild CardWS WinsYears as GM
    MSLSeattle0001

Seattle GM since July 2065
    Royals GM since January 2005

Oakland GM in MSL History
    3 Division Titles (4 Wild Card Berths) 1 World Series

RIP TBSL Los Angeles Angels 2012 WS Champs

Quote Originally Posted by cjkalt View Post
    I don't think they want to start the arbitration/service time clock, no reason to panic as you aren't in a race, just wait til next spring.
    I'm not saying he's going to get a full season. But, it's safe to say Wieters is getting the September callup, and will catch a few games a week.

Banned
    Rookie ERA

Wieters has been rolling through the minors. He is also most definitely the Orioles starter backstop next season. They should bring him up for a month and see what his has got in this level.