Thread: The dilemma at 1B

Destined to mediocrity
    MLB ERA

Orioles The dilemma at 1B

The below comments were posted by Roy Firestone. He really brings up a great topic.

Tex, Fielder and Howard...an opinion.
    I talked personally to a very very high ranking person next to Tex. This person said its doubtful a)Angelos would pony up the money to get him.b) Atlanta is prepared to make him a great offer and c)The Yankees and Boston are ready to pay top dollar too. Thats right..Boston too!
    Do I believe this person? Yes and No.
    I think the Orioles have to overspend to get Tex. Im not sure he's worth 18-20 a season for 4 or 5..but he might get it from someone.
    On to Fielder. He is a nice kid, but suddenly the Brewers are fearing he's turning into a prima donna. His cheerful disposition has changed rapidly as he sees the dollar signs on the horizon. Sad.
    Whats worse?
    Try Howard. He was one of the games great people. Solid citizen. Hard worker. Immense talent.
    But now, its the money again. He's had at least three agents in the last two years including Larry Reynolds(brother of Harold) who had him from the low minors. He walked on Larry and broke the guys heart.Not to mention his wallet.
    The Phils are worried theyve created a monster too. I think they would make a move if they could get a good deal. Thats hard to come by because he's so gifted.So there you have it. Three candidates. Three scary scenarios to acquire them. Pick your poison. Dont tell me money hasnt ruined the players. It can never destroy the game. But many of the players are selfish and self absorbed. Its a hell of a shame. And the owners have to share alot of the blame too!

MLB ERA

Re: The dilemma at 1B

Of those 3 players, I would say that the Orioles have the best shot at Tex, although if the Braves make it to the post season, they will likely offer him a huge contract.
    Fielder is a very good hitter, but a lousy defensive player. He would be better suited to be a DH in the AL. Howard is possibly the best of the bunch, but the Phillies will likely try to lock him up long-term rather than see him in another uniform.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon